Sign in to follow this  

Rottella oil? no good in my opinion...

i put rottella in my engine and ran it for about 5 hours (not hard at all) then went to the trck for the first time and ode it kinda hard....for about 5 hours....and we were going to the track for 2 days so we stayed at a hotel...well i chnged the oild in the bed of the truck at the hotel and there was a decent amout of what looked like metalic powder...it wasn't shavings.....is this just how rottella looks? it had waves of it as it was pouring and there was just SO much i couldn't tell if it was just the oil....i havn't had the chance to check the filter yet but i might today....mt dad told me that there was no point in trying to save a few bucks on oil if in the long run your going to need a rebuild sooner....so we are going to start useing HP honda oil or better racing oil....anyone else had this weird stuff in their oil?

Motorcycle oil is made for bikes and car and truck oil is made for cars and trucks. I don’t know why people use oil made for Diesel trucks in the motor of there bikes. The property and additives of the oil is completely made different and I would never run automotive type oil in any bike that I have to just save a few bucks.

Motorcycle oil is made for bikes and car and truck oil is made for cars and trucks. I don’t know why people use oil made for Diesel trucks in the motor of there bikes. The property and additives of the oil is completely made different and I would never run automotive type oil in any bike that I have to just save a few bucks.

Rotella has all the correct ratings to be used in any motorcycle.....Just a quick search for Oil will give you mountains of info pertaining to this.

• Like 1

i put rottella in my engine and ran it for about 5 hours (not hard at all) then went to the trck for the first time and ode it kinda hard....for about 5 hours....

So, you ran your engine oil for a full 10 engine hours ?? ( Not riding time, engine time! ) If so, any oil will be loaded with goodies with that much time between oil changes. I run my engine oil 5 hours max...gearbox oil 10 hours with a time meter.

No oil will break down to metallic flakes. Theres another problem with your bike.

Yes, also the fact that you ran your oil for 10 hours is not good either. You are supposed to change your oil every/every other ride with a maximum time of 5 hours. So I wouldn't be surprised that there was metal shavings in there.

i have gone 15houres on a oil change and there was no meatal at all, thats what the filter is for

i have gone 15houres on a oil change and there was no meatal at all, thats what the filter is for

Well the filter is for the engine oil and there should be metal shavings coming out of your eng. oil. A few shavings out of your trans. are normal but if its in excess then something is wrong with your bike.

While everyone here will rip this, cars go hundreds of hours on oil. Its realistically a myth to change it so much, but doing so helps eliminate negligence in checking oil amount etc....

If a car oil is worse (and if you read around at oil tests, many are much better in fact), then a motorcycle oil should last much longer.

If the oil can truly qualify for its application, 10 hours is nothing for oil.

I wouldn't say 10 hrs is what his problem was.

Anyways, maybe it wasn't metal.....if its engine side, you do, like everyone said, have major problems.

While everyone here will rip this, cars go hundreds of hours on oil. Its realistically a myth to change it so much, but doing so helps eliminate negligence in checking oil amount etc....

If a car oil is worse (and if you read around at oil tests, many are much better in fact), then a motorcycle oil should last much longer.

Anyways, maybe it wasn't metal.....if its engine side, you do, like everyone said, have major problems.

But in a motorcycle you should be changing it I would say 6 hours TOPS.

my 2-cents

I started using Rotella this summer instead of the expensive honda gear lube. Cant tell any difference in shifting.

My ktm has steel clutch plates and the oil comes out nearly as clean as it did going in at around 15 hrs of actual ride time.

My CR has aluminum clutch plates. Regardless of the oil type this looks dirty after 1 ride. I plan to switch these clutch plates to steel next year so I dont feel compelled to change the oil as often.

Again...Rotella is a good oil. In fact, it is a great oil. Maybe not the absolute best...but...a great oil for these bikes. Rekluse has even approved it for their clutches.

As mentioned in earlier threads, Rotella is a great oil but it needs to be changed like any other that costs three times as much and harder to get.

The idea is that you can keep clean, great oil in your bike at all times without killing your wallet. And, you can get gallons of it a Walmart with just one weeks allowance!

10 hours should not be an issue if you are not riding hard. That being said, if I remember from past threads, you have a full race engine and they will not be expected to last as long as a stock engine and you trully don't know how many hours the bike had on it before you bought it soooooooooo, it sounds like you may want to tear into and see what is going on in there.

Don't need to have opinions on the oil change interval. You considered Honda competent enough to build the bike you bought, why not follow the interval recommended by Honda for oil changes. It is in the Owners manual.

Thats true. Theres alot of racers just doing what the manual says. I think it says change it ever 10 hours so it shows that you can change the oil every 10 hours and be fine.

Don't need to have opinions on the oil change interval. You considered Honda competent enough to build the bike you bought, why not follow the interval recommended by Honda for oil changes. It is in the Owners manual.

Thats true. Theres alot of racers just doing what the manual says. I think it says change it ever 10 hours so it shows that you can change the oil every 10 hours and be fine.

actually it says every 15 houres:prof:

sometimes i go 20 houres on a oil change and sometime i go 5, depends on how board i am in the shop

your logic is flawed my friend. these bikes normally operate at around 12k rpm (at tracks). as a car is normally around 3-4k (average). the oil breaks down MUCH faster in these high reving bikes than cars. regardless of oil type.

BAM, you just got pwned. 👍

your logic is flawed my friend. these bikes normally operate at around 12k rpm (at tracks). as a car is normally around 3-4k (average). the oil breaks down MUCH faster in these high reving bikes than cars. regardless of oil type.

BAM, you just got pwned. 👍

To add to that, cars dont have a transmission/gears inside the block either (ok maybe a timing gear or oil pup gear but thats besides the point)! They also dont have a clutch that wears as its used!

He still hasnt stated which part of the engine the oil was from...

Honda also says you should doa top end every 20 hours, or somewhere around that. You should probably do that too. 👍

I'm just saying that you can't really go by what its saying.

Here, rip this.. Cars don't operate at 10000+ RPM's every time they are driven.