Sign in to follow this  

Need a little bit of help please

Hey there, I need to fix my sons buddies bike (KTM 125 2stroke) so they can ride together and his parentals are not doing it but will pay for it. I am a Honda guy so I turn to you for help.

The kids rear wheel has a ton of play in the rear axle, side to side, up down all around. I have not torn it down yet but what do you think I will be looking at? There is a ton of play in there, makes me wonder if not just the bearings but also the hub could be toast. Any insight would be great. I just want this kid to be back on the trail with my son tearing it up.

Thank you in advance. I know it is hard to give advice off vague descriptions.

My first thought was did someone take off the wheel and not put all spacers/bushings ,back where was?

I do not know, The thoroughly unmaintained bike was brought to a camping trip and all looked good from a once over before I sent the kids out and after a hard day the wheel was about flopping. I am going to go over and pick the bike up for the kid and bring it to my house to tear it down and see what I get. Can I find diagrams of this online so I can compare when I do this?

I would guess you will need the axle, hub & bearings. Might be easier to find a whole rear wheel assembly on ebay. Maybe cheaper too. You're looking at about $500.00 worth of parts & labor to buy new parts & have the hub/rim relaced at a dealer & if you've never relaced one yourself, you'd better try to find one on ebay first. You got a mess back there most likely. Buy a used one. Take the money you save to buy him a new rear tire & sprocket.

I do not know, The thoroughly unmaintained bike was brought to a camping trip and all looked good from a once over before I sent the kids out and after a hard day the wheel was about flopping. I am going to go over and pick the bike up for the kid and bring it to my house to tear it down and see what I get. Can I find diagrams of this online so I can compare when I do this?

Try this place www.BikeBandit.com Should be able to pull an exploded view of anything...

first remove the wheel and check the bearings, nay be as easy as a bearing kit with new seals and spacers. Sold as an aftermarket kit for under $40. If it needs a hub then as said above look for a used wheel, back to mid 90's to present will fit in the rear.

Bearings are shot. Go to Munn Racing for a diagram. Take the C-clip out before you try to hammer the bearings out. Or else. As mentioned above if the bearing carriers spin bad the hub can be ruined.