Sign in to follow this  

CRF150F Rider size

I have a friend who lets say is about 350lbs, maybe more. He is considering a CRF150F. Will that bike hold him or break in half?

You "friend" is a big guy to be on anything but a Harley. If he wants to ride off-road, I would suggest something like a large dual-sport. The Honda XR-650L, or Suzuki DRZ-650. Both of these bikes will still be underpowered for his weight, but will tote him sufficiently without getting away from him. If he must have more power & your "friend" can handle it, go with a Honda XR-650R (offroad-only version-makes more hp than the "L" version) or a KTM-530 or Husqvarna TE-510. I'm guessing from the fact that he's even considering a CRF-150F that he doesn't have much riding experience. In this case the XR-650L or DRZ-650 dula sports will be much more in line with his riding ability. Off road can be fun fun everyone, but his size dictates enough HP to get him around without killing himself. The CRF-150F just isn't going to cut the mustard. He will ruin it withn the first few times he attempts to ride it. Also, small bikes tend to hurt people worse than bigger ones because big folks just can't manuever them. Ergonmically, there just isn't enough room. My son's XR-50 would kick my ass in a skinny minute if I wasn't careful. The CRF-150F will do the same for your friend if he doesn't blow it sky high or burn up the clutches first.

He'll need a larger bike for sure. The 150F will get him around, but at a cost of wear outs...

i recomend a xr400,

great bike, lots of torque. 650 is to heavy for anyone to ride in the woods and have fun. its not called the BRP for nothing "Big Red Pig"

He is inexperienced and concerned about the power of a bigger bike.

I am trying to convince him to buy a KLX300 I saw for sale.

There is a dr650 also for sale near us, I think it's a 01 for $2500 and in mint condition with few miles. I keep telling him the CRF150F will die before it's time with him on it.

I agree with vmeadows, go with an older, very stout, XR model. The 400's are hard to find around here, but the 200/250's are a good bike and you won't get in trouble. My 200R was a great bike, some issues with shifting mechanism, which I think is very prevalent with the XR's. Otherwise, at least a 230, they are all the same and should be around 2000 or less, with this market we are in. Good luck, Dennis

I don't recall the exact number, but it seems like my owner's manual said the crf 230 f is rated for something like 220 lbs. rider and equipment. Makes me wonder if any dirt bike without passenger footpegs is rated for 350lbs.

Checked the manual. It says 220 lbs. "rider and accessories", would be surprised if the 150 isn't rated pretty close to that. I'd recommend checking the weight limit for any bike considered. A catastrophic equipment failure just might take some of the fun out of the experience.

Sky Rider,

Thanks for the info out of the manual. The weight limit should be less for the crf150, so it will never hold him. A couple of big bumps and the bike may break in half. I hope I can convince him to get atleast an xr200 or 250.

Big Tony was over the other night and wanted to take my sons PW80 around the yard. At first I said no way, then went and got the camera for a video. I will post up the video tomorrow.

I would probably eliminate two strokes because they generally take more skill to ride and they don't make nearly as much torque as comparable four strokes. Sounds like a recipe for disaster for a novice with that kind of weight. If he has any access to a friends bike that is similar size to a CRF150F then he should try it and if he realizes that it is too small for him, then try to find somebody that has a bigger bike that he can ride. I would recommend a big bore four stroke ranging from 450 to 650 cc. Good luck.

i weigh 300 lbs and i'm short....getting my leg over an xr400 is definately tough. i have a wr450 for the long rides but my crf150f with the BBR springs rides like a caddy on the trails and handles fun riding without problems. clutches are cheap! go with the 150 and if he doesn't like it he can get decent resale out of it!

yes .....circus bear on a tricycle has been mentioned to me!

i don't care cause i am having fun 👍

Spunrdneck,

I am surprised too hear that the 150 holds a guy your size.

I will let him know about the springs...