Sign in to follow this  

Could a S cam be better for off idle torque ?

Ok been thinking lately after riding that darn 525 Katoom ! I loved the off idle torque of the old school type of thumpes something I have always felt was missing on the DRZ. Right before I went for the 440 and Hotcam I had my S dialled in where I could lift the front with S cams and BSR carb in second. I then went to the Hotcam intake and although it pulled harder I'm sure the power shifted to higher revs ? Now with the FCR and 440 it pulls really well but again not that snap I want. I know the DRZ is more suited to revs and hp than torque but what if I put my S intake cam back and add a Hotcam ex cam instead where I now have it the other way around ? I'm no engineering guru but the milder cams might be better suited to producing torque at lower revs ? What do you guys reckon 👍

Stay with your Hotcams. Did you have the Hot Cams degreed for your engine?

You can also have them shifted slightly to enhance low end, at the expense of peak Hp, of course. Cannot have both.

Nope installed them as they came out of the box.

Degreeing them can make quite a difference. Engines vary enough that optimum performance requires cams to be degreed. For example, I degree a set on cams perfectly in my engine and give them to you. You install them and check them. You will probably find they are off. Manufacturing tolerances from the woodruff key slot in the crank to the cam drive gear to the condition of your cam chain to the bore centers in the head of the cam journals can accumulate, throwing the cam timing off by a few degrees.

Degreeing is not too hard, requires some special tools (TT store sells a Hot Cams Degreeing kit), some patience and a few hours tops. Pop over and I'll show you how to do it...... 👍

Sounds interesting. I have always worried about the cam sprocket being held in place by the (1 or is that 2) bolts ! I take it they are loctited in place ? My cam chain is due for a change so I might look into this, any tutorials floating around on degreeing of cams :worthy: Or if you have time on the weekend I'll stop by your place 👍

2 bolts on each cam sprocket. The should be loctited in...

There is one on degreeing here:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470426

Ask if you need clarification.

If you stop by, bring sammiches and a clutch cover gasket.....

👍

Think I need to get my jetting spot on first, the bike is running ok but I do not have the recommended OBEMN needle or 158 main. Try that first and then look into the degreeing. The hunt for torque and hp is quite an art it seems :worthy:

Pop over and I'll show you how to do it...... 👍

Over 40 years ago my dad made a lifelong friend of an overseas acquaintance from such a tongue-in-cheek invitation. Hope this one works out so well!

Over 40 years ago my dad made a lifelong friend of an overseas acquaintance from such a tongue-in-cheek invitation. Hope this one works out so well!

Never happen to me. Those that have met me in person use words like "grotesque:eek: , an insult to humanity:eek: , an accident that already happened:eek: " in describing the experience to others. The only way I could get married was to find a blind and deaf woman with no sense of touch or smell.👍

Seems a little harsh on yourself William, you seem like a nice bloke to me, Always quick with an answer. If you come to the 51st ever, I'll be more than happy to be your friend. Could even fix you up with a deaf blind women - if that's what you want. Wifes sister springs to mind....

Actually, my wife is a hot little piece of *SS.

I try to apprach things like a street race.

What, you want to race my clapped out piece of junk.....

Not sure if it will start...

Might need oil, been smoking a bit.....

the exhaust cam usually has more to do with the shape of the torque curve than the intake cam.

The hot cams, just going by the numbers, there would be no advantage with any cam swapping