Sign in to follow this  

The future of a WR125 fanatic

Like most of us I saw the pictures of the 09 WR125 and got excited. But now it looks like we will not see this bike in the U.S. anyway. Also I noticed it is supposed to have gained 10 pounds and lost 2 inches of ground clearance. I am not too worried about the weight as I suspect they are now just reporting the real weight. The ground clearance is bad though. In the past the WR125 had it’s own engine cradle which is why it has more clearance then a WR250. It looks like Husqvarna did not bother to do this for the 125 with the new frame. From the pictures it also looks like it has the tiny 4t tank. I find this to be very half-assed of Husky. Take advantage of that small motor! Although it is nice to have lots of room to work on the motor I would rather have more ground clearance and a 3 gallon tank that sits low enough to make the seat almost flat with the tank.

The optimist in me hopes that next year they will make a big tank specific to the 2t, offer a 144 or 200, and import them into the states. But if that doesn’t happen what new bike options will we have? I have ridden a lot of bikes and nothing can replace my WR125.

Two stroke options…

Husky CR125 – Assuming they keep bringing these in I could buy one then do a woods conversion. This would require a suspension revalve, tank, and ignition change at the minimum. I also noticed the silencer mounts different so it is likely a custom spark arrestor would have to be built. This would not be cheap or easy but it would result in a “WR125”. I imagine the CR ignition is fine for someone fast like ajaxauto since he is probably WFO at all times to be kicking so much butt on a 125 but for a slow guy like me I need the smooth linear power.

TM – They make a 125 and 144 Enduro. Some guy (tmterry I think) was posting all over about how TM is making a big push into the U.S., has tons of parts, blah blah. But I don’t think they even brought bikes in for 08 so this brand is looking a bit too exotic for me.

Gasgas – Their enduro 125 seems to be more rare then even the Husky. I have heard the motor is weak but I don’t know if simple jetting or head mods could fix this. At 6’2” I am sure the ergos would be a challenge.

KTM 144 – If I wanted a high maintenance time bomb I would get a 250f. Maybe the 09 with the forth “fixed” piston will do the trick and this bike will be an option.

KTM 125 – Have to do full conversion and put up with KTM handling which I don’t like. It would be the easiest conversion though due to all the compatible parts I could find used on ktmtalk.

YZ 125 – Assuming they will still be found for blow out prices (below 4k) this would probably be my top choice. The suspension is so good it is even usable in stock MX form and is awesome once revalved. I don’t really like the way a Yamaha turns and I don’t know how good the power band would be. At least parts are plentiful. It does not have the “soul” of my Italian steed though.

KTM 200 – This would be the simplest option. I could live with one but I like the feel of a Husky much better. This bike, along with the 125 and 144, has a clutch basket that likes to self destruct but I guess every bike has it’s glitches.

Husky WR250 – If they come out with a new motor and get the weight close to a KTM, and keep the nice power delivery, I could go back to one. I enjoy a small bore more though.

Other then that it would be a 250F…

Husqvarna – I like Huskys but the TE250 weighs more then most 450’s. If the new TC ever gets here and is not a maintenance nightmare it might be an option to convert.

KTM – 100 decibel woods bike. F – you KTM! I wouldn’t own one just for that reason. Even with a Q they are twice as loud as the Honda with a Q.

If I had to buy a 250f right now it would probably be the Yamaha followed by the Honda. Neither one excites me at all though. They do run well while being super quiet so I have to give them credit for that. They are still heavier then what I want and just not fun to ride like a zingy small bore 2t. I would also prefer a European bike.

Fortunately I love my 06 WR125 and neither Husqvarna or any other company has produced something to give me the new bike itch. I’m just wondering what I will do a couple years down the road. Maybe I will just get a TE450 for dual sport and keep riding my 125 for years to come. It is just a shame that such a cool bike is not an option for a current buyer.

NWet, your posts always liven up this forum, and here you are with another good one.

I got all excited too, when I saw the little WR, then disappointed when hearing of the specs and that they wouldn't be coming to the states. Hopefully someone is listening and maybe some of the factory riders that enjoy the tiddler will push for a more aggressive version with the options we want.

In all seriousness I was pondering upgrading to the 09, but in reality we have an awesome bike in its current form and there is still a lot that could be done. I could drop another 2 grand on goodies and I would just then reach the list price of a TE 250.

We have the same train of thought as I have really grown accustomed to the Husky's ergos and will probably just hold to this one and add either street legal 4t or maybe a WR250 to the stable.

If had to upgrade from the list it would one of the top 3 , in order WR kitted CR, TM, or Gasgas.

The more I ride the WR the more content I become, as the bike is very capable, has the right gearing, is agile and stable, can hang with the big boys , lug down low...scream up high...and do work in the mid. No matter how many bikes I own down the road, when I wanna have fun and feel like a hero the little WR is my ride.

I have not ridden a Wr but here is what i know about my CR

My 2006 and 2008 are about the same

Stock tank is 2.5 yet the 4stroke tank is only 2.3 go figure both will fit

I would race with the stock one if i could get a dry break to fit until then a 4 stoke 3,3 from IMS fits fine

As for the 19 inch rear wheel i ran a tuff tube and all year no flats plus it is less weight for the motor to turn I also did not bent a rim in all the rocks we race in the west

I am 6 ft tall and the bike fits fine just like a bigger bike with all my gear on fanny pack full camel back my weight is 200

As for a spark arrestor if you want to run the stock pipe i order one from FMF

and cut the head pipe off and welded the head pipe from the stock muffler on to the new FMF both steel so any one can weld it

Or run a new FMF pipe and there Spark arrestor will fit fine

As for ignition i have no problem in the slow rocks or UTha trees but if you changed you would get a flywheel weight and the power for lights

As for a rad over flow bottle both on my TE 510 and the CR 125 i run Evens

coolant which can not boil over so no need for a catch can as NOTHING EVER comes out

The look of the WR is great but i see with just a few thing you can chang the CR to be a WR or just try it as it comes i did and now the AMA is send me a # 1 plate

Kind of funny to me as I have been on the 125 forever it seems and now on a WR 250. Don't get me wrong as I still love the feel of a 125 in the woods. I kept trying to get the power out of the 125 like I have with my 250. I am east coast so the 5 speed is not a problem for me. Weight is all what you get used to (I keep telling myself).

I am so curious how this '09 WR 125 will handle. I loved the feeling of the old frame, I guess it can always get better. The TXC I have ridden takes me a few laps to get used to. The more I ride it the better I like the TXC 250. I do find myself waiting on the power to pull me up to speed on the small straights so I tend to ride it more like a 125.

I have ridden several KTM 200's and just know I can ride the Husky better, there is something with that low end on the KTM it seems so short and causes mistakes for me especially in the turns.

What we need is someone to invent the same geometry as the '09 frame in a new set of tripple clamps to fit the older bikes. Heck I would like to see someone make a tripple clamp to fit either a Showa or Kayaba forks too.

TM – They make a 125 and 144 Enduro. Some guy (tmterry I think) was posting all over about how TM is making a big push into the U.S., has tons of parts, blah blah. But I don’t think they even brought bikes in for 08 so this brand is looking a bit too exotic for me.

I too have been wondering what my next steed will be. Having ridden most of the available bikes on the market and having owned a TM, I can tell you that the TM is the "stuff". But the price due to the euro and the small amount of bikes coming into NA makes me leary. For me the TM144 enduro would be the bike of choice (when I choose to replace my trusty Husaberg), but the Husky wr300 will probably get the nod.

I too have been wondering what my next steed will be. Having ridden most of the available bikes on the market and having owned a TM, I can tell you that the TM is the "stuff". But the price due to the euro and the small amount of bikes coming into NA makes me leary. For me the TM144 enduro would be the bike of choice (when I choose to replace my trusty Husaberg), but the Husky wr300 will probably get the nod.

If Husky doesn't see the light, a woods converted CR125 would be the answer for me.

If Husky doesn't see the light, a woods converted CR125 would be the answer for me.

Best answer answer so far 👍

Best answer answer so far 👍

That's what I'm slowly doing with my '08 cr125... Getting ready for my first ride, testing revalved front forks for the woods.

Don't over react... I'm sure everything will be fine.

Husqvarna never goes backwords.

Or as the old Husqvarna tag-line said... The Final Step Up!

HuskyRips:thumbsup:

Do be clear, I was talking about the future as in post 08 bikes. I do hope we will get a WR125 but with how few they sell I am not counting on it. If Husky really wants to sell a small bore in the U.S. market they need to make a 150 to 200 range model. That might give me a reason to lust for a new bike.

On the 09 if the tank is at least 2.5 gallons is will be adequate for me. It just looks really small and I thought they may have just slapped the 1.8 gallon 4t tank on it. The IMS is out and I am assuming it would fit, if it doesn’t and the stock tank is small then we are screwed.

Maybe someone will make a spark arrestor for the 09 CR. With how few they sell I am not counting on it. One could always buy a universal one or cut and weld it just makes conversion a little harder. I am not sure what aftermarket pipes will be available for such a rare bike. I am not real concerned about a 19” rear wheel, it is lighter which is nice. If I had to get a CR and did not like the power delivery I would either get a WR ignition or see if the FBF ignition can be programmed with an enduro map. As I get better at riding a small bore I may be OK with the CR ignition anyway.

As long as they keep bringing in some kind of small bore there will be options for us. With how bad 125 sales are, and especially enduro 125 sales, it is hard to say for sure.

On the TM, did any 08’s even come into the states? Does anyone know if any bikes are coming in for 09?

I plan to ride my WR for a couple more years so it is not an issue for me yet. At that time if nothing better is out I may just keep riding my old bike. It is nice as is and could be made even better with a 144 kit, LTR suspension, etc.

On the TM, did any 08’s even come into the states? Does anyone know if any bikes are coming in for 09?

I have only heard of two 2008 TM's coming to the USA. TM was very late bringing out the 2008 models and sales were strong in europe when they did come out, AND the USD just kept tanking and the price kept going up AND it took quite a while for TM to jump thru the hoops to get the bikes on the EPA lists. Last I heard, the decision was made to bring in the 2009 models as soon as they are available rather than bringing in the 2008 models when folks will be expecting a discount.

I rode a TXC today. The handling, ergos, and suspension are a cut above the old bikes. I was surprised Husky could really improve things that much. I want that WR125! I hope they bring them in.

I rode a TXC today. The handling, ergos, and suspension are a cut above the old bikes. I was surprised Husky could really improve things that much. I want that WR125! I hope they bring them in.

I felt the same way when I rode the TXC.

On '09 WR125 ground clearence... Looking at '08 and '09 bike pictures, I think the main difference is, how low the shock linkage is below the frame cradle on the '09 compared to the '08. We'll see when the '09 125's(CR or WR) arrive.

Norman