Sign in to follow this  

Pulling the Trigger

Going to buy an 08 KLX450F tonight.. Just had a very bad day racing on Sunday with my old 03 KTM450exc as 5 years of racing have worn it out.

Here is what I've already ordered for this weekend.

Springs Front/Back after a length conversation with John Curea at MX-Tech for my 205lbs he gave me some shimming suggestions too..

JD jet kit

XR Only flex fuel screw

XR Only CRF250X AIS block off kit (24.95 buxs FYI)

MSR rear brake fin (includes brake caliper mounts for more strength)

SDC tall seat for my 6'3" frame

CYRA pro hand guards with tripple clamp mounts

BRP chain guide

Flat Land Racing skid plate (wanted Hyde racing but couldn't get a hold of them)

52 tooth sprocket

Regina ZR chain

KX number plate and my race numbers

Things left to buy....

Bike but got that covered from my local store (Midtown Kawasaki) 👍

KX header

Heat wrap tape

FMF titanium Q

I'll take pics over the next few days....

Welcome to the world of team green. It's a much nicer colour than orange anyhow!!!

Just a comment... I bought the cyra probend's with triple clamp mounts and thought they would be industructible, but just like every other handguard, they bend too! Several times now.... maybe I just crash too much, but you aren't riding hard enough if you aren't crashing once and awhile.

Think I'll try the fastways that mount to the bar mounts next time. Depends if I get a dampner for Xmas or not.

Enojoy the new bike. Ride it at least once stock, just because. Then re-jet and all the other goodies and enjoy.

Enojoy the new bike. Ride it at least once stock, just because. Then re-jet and all the other goodies and enjoy.

I wish I could but I have a race next weekend and need to get as much seat time with the bike dialed in as close as possible..

I went and talked with the dealer last night. It's sooo nice have a dealership that the owners are friends. No money passed hands, sold me the one that is in the crate rather than the one out front that has been rained on a few times. And sold it to me for cost plus taxes. They are building it today and I get to pick it up tonight!

I appreciate the comment on the mounts, I know they aren't super beefy but I never had any luck with bar mounted on the bar and my KTM had E-Rider clamps with built in mounts that took a huge beating.. I also will run my cut down protapers at some point once I get an under the bar mount damper setup to put my scotts on so this will all be revisited once I get some time on it.

I'm really looking forward to getting through work today!!!!

I got my 450...

I got my 450...

I got my 450...

Picks to come tomorrow in the day light!

Rode it around in the yard.. Talk about CORKED! With in 5 minutes I had the allens out and remove the spark arrestor.. MAN IT SOUNDS GOOD NOW! The stock exhaust aint so bad with it removed. Any suggestions for a less restricting spark arrestor till I source a new can?

I see why everyone says it's heavy, not in feel but in true weight. Kaw put all kinds of fluffy stuff on it. I'll shed some parts not nessessary for racing and weight them to get a feel for what it can really weight..

Any body come up with a front wheel bushing to replace the od?

I didn't see rad Guards on your list. I took one of my rads out last night on a stump while riding some single track. 👍 The Rad survived the hit from the stump, But the Fuel Petcock took out the back of the rad!My bike is 2 weeks old and I just couldn't wait for the Flatland guards to show up from the states. I ordered them here on line for a good price.

Petcock $51

Rad $275

Being ony 200 yards from a logging road... Priceless!

I have some sad pictures that I can't post....

I didn't see rad Guards on your list. I took one of my rads out last night on a stump while riding some single track. The Rad survived the hit from the stump, But the Fuel Petcock took out the back of the rad!My bike is 2 weeks old and I just couldn't wait for the Flatland guards to show up from the states. I ordered them here on line for a good price.

I'm looking into the guards. On my KTM I had a welder Tig a Alum Angle on the side and run some 3/8 Alum round stock across the front and back to stiffen it up. It was a whole lot stronger than any guard I could buy, but I don't know if there is enough room on the KLX.

If I can figure out how to do pictures I'll post the one I took..

The reserve position of the petcock is what does it . I put a KX petcock on my IMS tank. Only points down.

Do folks run the coolant recovery tank or do people remove it. I never had one on the KTM and once the jetting was set never had a probem.

Tall seat and handguards are here, just waiting on jetting..

I left mine on. I have rejetted and am also running engine ice, but I have still had the bike start to overheat. I had the misfortune of getting stacked up behind some slow traffic on some tight single track trails. If I could have gotten some air moving I would have been ok, but I just couldn't run far or fast enough to keep it cool. In retrospect, I should have just shut it down and sat there for about half an hour till they cleared, but dumb me thought that they would pick up the speed at some point. Sure was glad the tank was there!

:busted:

👍

Clocked 37 miles on Saturday and 47 today.. All I can say is WoW, what a great bike. Still need the right springs as the faster it got the more sketchy it behaved but that didn't surprise me.

So I ran no catch tank, no big deal as it never boiled over and we ran some tight stuff and some hard core rock stuff. I'll probably put a 1.6 or 1.8 KTM cap on for good measure though.

She can be a bit moody on starting if she isn't fully warmed up though, may futz with the jetting some, I'm thinking one more on the pilot as the JD jet kit doesn't make that change at all.

Otherwise I really like it, stable and planted but easy to change lines with, can't wait to get springs in it and play with the valving as out of the box (with jetting and removing the spark arrester) the bike is pretty good.

More to come.

OH I ordered a scott's sub mount yesterday too, wife aint going to like the 230 sticker price but it will let me run my damper and my cut down protapers.

:worthy:

For those that run a KXF header pipe, I assume you need the KXF header to muffler donut to make it work. When I changed the oil in the bike last night I tryed to install the KXF header and found the ID to be to small. Then compared the pipes and it looks like the KXF OD is bigger by a few mm.