Sign in to follow this  

Question about oil report / petcock

I got an oil report back from Blackstone that had high readings of gas (along with some high readings of some metals). This is at about 2,000 total off-road miles.

My question is about the high gas. I made sure to take it for a good, hourlong ride before dumping the oil. Even pulled it straight into the garage with no idling! So gas shouldn't be in the oil from running the engine cold at idle.

I recently found, however, that my petcock let a slow trickle of gas through it even in the off position. I took it apart and found the gasket in the valve was torn. I've got a new one on order, since I learned you can't just buy the gasket (rip-off!)

My question: Shouldn't the carb float valve shutoff prevent gas from leaking into the engine even if the petcock has a small leak? In addition to replacing the petcock, is there anything i should be looking at in the carb?

(And if anyone else sees somethign telling on the oil report, let me know!)

blackstone-1.jpg

your petcock is a issue but also 2000 offroad miles is like 10,000 on road.

im not kidding.

Hmmm. Does that mean the higher metal values are because the engine is more worn, as opposed to the Blackstone Lab assertion that the engine is still breaking in?

Well, I am taking it down to Baja again next month for another 1,200 miles. It should really be "broken in" after that

I'm confused, the report says you went 500 miles, they recommend only going 500 miles... where did the other numbers come from?

The other numbers? I assume you mean the other columns with test reults in them? One of those columns shows the results from the last oil report on this machine, which came after 1,200 Baja miles. Another column averages those two results together. The column to the far right is an average of what Blackstone says are the results for all similar engines.

Dang... you saw my post before I deleted it.

I actually thought you mean you had 2k miles on that particular oil change.