Sign in to follow this  

TTR250 Starter Button dead

Here it is:

1. Battery is charged: LIght comes on.

2. Hit the starter buttom nothing happens.

3. Disconnected the wires going the the starter button to override it. Nothing happens.

4. Read the volts on the wires going to the starter buttom. Zipo.

Any suggestions?

I would image that the leed wire going to the starter button should have 12-13 volts?

On my TTR125 there is two fuses coming off the battery to the starter. You could have a similar set-up. If so, one could be blown.

If you don't have 12 volts across your starter switch and the head light comes on then your fuse should be good.

Start with your battery and check for 12 volts to a chassis ground on your fuse and your kill switch.

Check the starter switch ground side continuity. If it isn't grounded check you neutral switch and your clutch switch.

After that check the starter relay.

Should I have 12 volts coming to my starter button?

I tried starting it in gear with the clutch in with no results. I tried starting it in nuetral with no go.

I wonder if the wire from my key to the starter may be the problem.

There should be a starter "relay" switch I would guess is not functioning...

when you hit the start button, this relay essentially closes the gap for the electricity to go from your battery to your starter...these relays go bad on off road bikes & ATV's... It should be a cheap part to replace. I'm not sure where it is on your bike, but do a google search & I'm sure you'll find it quick. It's usually near the battery or up under the seat area...