Sign in to follow this  

can needles go bad?

I've search and I didn't see anything, so I'll post it up to see if anyone else has ran into this.

06 KTM 625 SMC.. 17k miles JD kit..

I put the JD kit into the bike within the first 300 miles (I bought it new).. for about 16,000 mile I rode with the same jetting and all was good in the world...

About a 1000 miles ago.. my bike started to have a small "miss or hiccup" and it got worst and worst until the point where the bike was un-rideable.

I checked everything and it ended up being the red needle from the JD kit. I have swapped the stock, blue and red needle all on the same clip and the red needle is completely un-rideble. I know there should be some differences, but the blue and stock were close and red the bike almost didn't run.

I looked for damage and I even put a mic on all of them and I didn't really see much difference between the 3.

Has anyone else every ran into this, anything else I should look at?

Thanks

The first part to wear out on a carb is the needle jet emulsion tube. It's the part the needle slides in and out of and what the main jet screws into. You can Remove it and replace it via the access cap on the float bowl.

I assume things like your valves are good, correct?