Sign in to follow this  

sx gearing for speed??

i have a 06 450 sx i mostly ride trails.....but with such high gas prices, im thinking of riding my bike to work, ive rigged up a head light and a tail light (both run off of rechargeable batteries) and i changed my front sprocket from a 14t to a 15t and left the rear stock. with the new sprocket how much faster can i go on the road?? will the gearing just get longer or will it feel like i gained a gear (5th)?? or not much at all?? i only need to hit about 70 -75 mph.....is this going to work.👍:worthy:

have a 06 450 sx i mostly ride trails.....but with such high gas prices, im thinking of riding my bike to work, ive rigged up a head light and a tail light (both run off of rechargeable batteries) and i changed my front sprocket from a 14t to a 15t and left the rear stock. with the new sprocket how much faster can i go on the road?? will the gearing just get longer or will it feel like i gained a gear (5th)?? or not much at all?? i only need to hit about 70 -75 mph.....is this going to work

Well I'm not sure if there is a definite answer to your question... how fast with this setup? You'll just have to try it out

I thought with an Sx you should be able to get around 70 mph stock..( even though your engine is probably screaming)

Changing your front sprocket to a 15 will defiantly help... If you find it's not fast enough.. change your rear.. to say... a 44

though trying to ride that setup off road you'll only stay in first gear in the most modest of semi tight trails...

I have a street legal 450 exc... So with my 13t front 50t rear... on or off road is great.... (with my 6 gears)

Look under state laws... for signals, lights, mirrors...ect

Going 95mph with dirt tires on the road is sketchy:eek: ... so be warned!

P.S. If your in bumper to bumper traffic... or.... just on hot days barely moving.... you'll over heat... good luck

thanks for the info....i dont want to change the rear sprocket...for the same reason i did not install a bigger stator and fly wheel for the lights, i need to be able to remove the street stuff quickly so that im back to pure SX, because i still ride trails every weekend and some trail races here and there..(no need for lights or any extra weight). again thanks.

anyone else have an opinion??

If you are thinking of riding on the pavement long term, you may want to look into dropping the six speed trans parts into your RFS motor. Pretty reasonable price wise, and you will still be able to have a close ratio transmission for your racing with an over driven 6th gear for street use.

There are lots of places out there that sell everything you would need as a kit. All you or someone else needs to do is split the cases and put in the parts.

I used 15/47 for racing my trining bike 450sx and it realy run fast. But with that gearing you can't go slow. You'll find your self using a lot of clutch on the slow sections.

Recently I placed a 50 on the back and got better. But at high speed you have your revs hiting hard.

Probably a 6 speed trany will make a difference if you are planning to gear like that.

contact Travis 888-252-2000 in CA. he can do the 6 speed fairly inexpensively and it will increase the re-sale value of your bike.