Sign in to follow this  

E base gasket installation troubleshooting

Today, I installed the E base gasket on my S model. I didn't want to install new piston rings so I just pushed the piston pin out and kept the piston in the cylinder head.

Unfortunately, I managed to make two mistakes:

1. When pulling the cam chain through the cylinder head, it pretty much fell in the engine. It was attached to a piece of wire so I easily pulled it out BUT I'm a little worried about it skipping a tooth in the engine or something else because I read you should keep it fairly stretched at all times.

2. When taking the head off, the engine moved from TDC. I put it back into the right position but I'm not sure if it was a good idea to do so with the head off and the cam chain loose. Also, I'm not sure if I turned the engine over in the right direction - I know that in the TDC, the cams are either pointing up&left/right or down&left/right. Will I just find out if it's in the correct TDC when reinstalling the cams?

Hope I described it correctly and somebody will be able to help.

Thanks guys!

With the head on, tension on the cam chainwith your pull wire, carefully rotate to TDC (No spark plug in). Time and install the cams. Rotate the engine carefully, recheck the cam timing, button it up. No worries.

Thanks for a quick reply William!

So I take it I can put the head back on, put the engine in TDC, install cams and if the clearances are way off, take the cams off and the turn the engine over one more time till it's in TDC and the clearances are correct?

Cam timing, not clearances. Clearances will not change. You need to double check the cam timing. You install the cams, aligned the marks, count the pins. Rotate the engine 720 degrees (two revolutions) to TDC again, very carefully, and check the marks and pin count. Any excessive resistance, stop, and think, as it could be a valve hitting the piston.

Once the cams are out, TDC is TDC, When your ready to install the cams just pull the chain up it will seat itself on the lower sprcket just fine. Install cams so they are pointing to 10 and 2 with the flywheel mark on TDC, check the index lines on the cam sprockets and your good.

make shore piston is at top(real tdc),put in 1 gear or lock rear brake,so you don't move the engine.

Put in ex cam first nr. 2 up ,nr 1 to the right level vith cylindertop edge.,then count 15 teeth on the camchain back to intake cam top(nr. 3 up ), and if numbers match you are good to go:ride:

Thanks for the quality detailed help. you are giving me confidence to try this soon. So if I were to put in the e base gasket can someone give me the complete list of parts needed? You all say a new clips and a piston pin. By clips you mean the clips that hold the piston pin in place correct? Anything else? Anyone have part numbers? If I can collect this information I will add it to the e base gasket post in the faq. (its not in there, checked last night)

Thanks for all the info guys!

If you manage to pull the piston pin out and keep the piston in the head, these are parts needed for the base gasket swap:

- base gasket

- cylinder/head gasket

- 1 or 2 piston circlips (I guess, since you're taking only one out, you should probably be fine with replacing just that one)

If you take the piston out of the cylider head, you should also install a set of new piston rings and follow with a break-in procedure.