Sign in to follow this  

how to add a 2nd masterlink on to a chain?

i cut my chain short like an idiot. and i heard of people using 2 masterlinks to make up for it. but where do you add the 2nd masterlink to make it longer? it doesn't make sence because theres only 2 inner links to connect a masterlink.

Use masterlink #1 to re-attach the section of chain you cut off. Then cut the chain to the proper length and use masterlink #2 to make the final chain connection. Job done.....

• Like 1

Use masterlink #1 to re-attach the section of chain you cut off. Then cut the chain to the proper length and use masterlink #2 to make the final chain connection. Job done.....

Ok the chain is too short... so you cut it....... longer?👍

ever dig yourself out of a hole??? LOL

1. See if you can buy one or more "Half Links" from a motorcycle dealer or from an industrial supply company. You would then hook the Half Link to one end of the chain and the Master Link from the other end of the Half Link to the other end of the chain. This is common practice on industrial chain, but I can't say that I've ever seen it done on a motorcycle chain. I don't know if you can even buy an O-Ring Half Link.

2. Buy as small of a section of chain from a dealer that you can and use two Master Links to connect them together. You may have to shorten the original chain another link or two depending on how far off you are to start.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once.":thumbsup:

Ok the chain is too short... so you cut it....... longer?:worthy:

ever dig yourself out of a hole??? LOL

No, he meant add the master link to install the part you just cut off. So now you should have a full length of chain again, kinda like before you chopped it too short, except now you wont have a master link, it will be installed on your chain for the splice. Now fit the chain in place, measure twice, cut once. Add your second master link which you will need to purchase.

Ever dig yourself "deeper" into a hole?👍

Actually you can dig yourself out of a whole if you dig steps into the side of the hole.

lmfao. wow these responses now-a-days are getting kinda funny.

guys what he said makes perfect sense. You take the cut section on the chain and reattach it to the rest of the chain using a master that well add back the 5 links or so that he cut off. I am assuming he did not cut more than one link off. Then you cut down the reattached part to the right link. cause if you added another master link to the chain it would not work since you have to cut the chain to put it on.