Sign in to follow this  

Center bolt clicking & not backing out!!!

My 04 rm250 with twin chamber showa forks is giving me a problem with the center bolt. I am able to unscrew the center bolt the majority of the way basing this on how far the other fork's center bolt backed out before coming completely loose. However, the bolt is just spinning now and making a clicking noise about ever 1 rotation. I'm at a lose for what to do. Please help.

I bought the bike used and this is the first time changing the seals. Yea that is the conclusion I came to also, but what the hell do I do now?

It spins but is not completely loose? In other words, you can't pull it lose from the axle clamp?

Correct. It feels and looks as if the center bolt is very close from being out of the axle clamp. Any ideas? I think I may be in for a major problem.👍 .Might just change the oil in the outer tube if there isn't a cheap solution. Any ideas?

Correct. It feels and looks as if the center bolt is very close from being out of the axle clamp. Any ideas? I think I may be in for a major problem.👍 .Might just change the oil in the outer tube if there isn't a cheap solution. Any ideas?

Does the base bolt tighten back up ?

Could be a possible, that you have a negative pressure within the cart. THis will suck the rod inward even though you are pushing from the top of the fork to extent the rod out. If this is the case have a buddy push from the top of the fork or strap it down, grab the base bolt with a pair of pliers or needle nose and see if you can pull it from there. I have seen this many times when free piston seal fails. Just a suggestion..

• Like 1

Russ is right - that was going to be my next suggestion. Check it like he suggests and let us know.

grab the base bolt with a pair of pliers or needle nose and see if you can pull it from there. I have seen this many times when free piston seal fails. Just a suggestion..

Good call Russ:thumbsup:

Thats how I always have to take forks apart when I use reactive springs in them.

doc

I was wonder what caused the negative pressure, and is it anything to worry about?

Yes, more than likely the ICS piston seal is bad and will need replaced.

doc

When I first read his original post my first thought was "Does he know that he has to push the other end down to get the dampening rod clear of the axle clamp housing ?" If you don't, they all sound exactly like what he was describing...!!!