Sign in to follow this  

250 2 stroke or 450 four - can't decide

Hi gang--first time post. Apologize if this has been discussed already, but I didn't see it. Anyway I'm torn between buying a new 250 2 stroke and a 450 four. I'm just getting back into the scene so I'm relatively ignorant about the new four strokes. Although it's been a little while I am a fairly experienced rider, mostly trails and occasional trip to the local track. I could throw my 2 stroke yz 125 around pretty well I also maintained myself as well including some engine work. I LOVED my 2 banger so I'm skeptical about buying four, but have done lot of homework on them and they seem much better than they used to. I know I need and can handle more power than a 125 2 stroke so would a 250f be enough? I'm 5'10 and a weigh a solid 210 lbs. I'm also concerned about maintenance frequency with the 4's and what it entails since I have never worked on one. Sorry if this was wordy. Thanks for the help.👍

since you plan to MOSTLY ride trails (and at this point i'm still ignorent as to what type of trails so bare with me), your going to want to look at an enduro bike, which at your size leads me to suggest a 450, or a 250/300 two stroke enduro.

pro's and cons of each, well to start on the 4 stroke the pro's are better fuel economy (comes into play a lot with what bike i take when i ride), a lot of useable power, particulary in the low end, however there are a lot of disadvantages, 4 strokes cost more for the initial purchase, they overheat a lot more easily when riding in tight conditions (often a problem for me riding my dads 450, a problem i don't have when riding my RM 250), they are physicly heavier, but also feel heavy due to the extra rotating mass in the engine, are louder and not on the DB chart, but because they produce a much lower sound thne a twos troke which travels a lot further through the air, and solid object, so more likly to annoy people, and the big oen for a lot of people, the maintainence, the engine oil needs replaceing every ten hours or so, oil filters every other oil change, valve clearances at least checked every 30 odd hours, and the extra cost to repair in the event things do go wrong.

however with that said, when i can i still take dads 450 over my RM 90% of the time for off road riding, the 450 is street legal from the dealer floor (2008 KTM 450 EXC-R, most 450's are NOT streel legal off the floor), uses less fuel, and mainly for me (since where i ride we have a lot of very slow technical riding, often on rocks and over logs and other debris) the exhaust on my 2t is vaulerable.

but but you have bikes like the KTM 300 XC-W(e), pipes made of 16 gauge stainless steel with nickle coating, very tractable engine, can lug a lot lower then any current 4t without stalling, has a lot of low end torque to get you over and around anything, with the biggest disadvantage being you need to mix the gas, and isn't green sticker in the U.S, these purpose built enduro twos strokes are the best bike you could buy for what your after, in my opinion, you can rip up the MX track on them, you won't be as fast as you might be on a YZ or RM 250, but you'll have fun none the less, as long as you don't mind mixing gas.

just my opinion, other factors come into it, like the type of riding you do, the more open it is the mroe it likes 4 strokes, and as long as you kee[p ontop of the maintainence on a 4 strokes they will last a long time (KTM's and yamaha, and husky particulary have good reputations for reliability)

I would get the 450 for trail/or track the power is usable all over with Lot of low and lots of top. However the 4T is heavier I dont notice a huge difference but it really depends on your size and the speed of your trail and how technical your riding is. As far as difficulty to ride there isnt much of a difference to me but to a newb the four stroke would be easier it's really all about what your used to.

As long as you show your thumper a little care hence using Motorex and avoiding unnecessary ware and tear they last a long time before you need to worry about anything expensive.

i realy like my yz450 compare to any 250, but it feel heavier.

realy easy on the trails,but before i changed the rad water. to engine ice it got realy hot somtimes.

A well-jetted 250 smoker will provide you with years of trail-riding fun and great performance at very little cost, and it you ever decide to get more serious and do a harescramble or enduro, it is the bike of choice.

A well-jetted 250 smoker will provide you with years of trail-riding fun and great performance at very little cost, and it you ever decide to get more serious and do a harescramble or enduro, it is the bike of choice.

+1 👍