Gout Sucks

I have had the gout for quite a few years now and I can't remember when I had my last gout attack. I take an allopurinol tablet every morning and kinda watch what I eat and do not drink alcoholic beverages as much as I did when diagnosed. I know it really sucks and is very painful....

watch what I eat and do not drink alcoholic beverages as much as I did when diagnosed. I know it really sucks and is very painful....

I have close friends that have to deal with it and diet is extremely important in controling it . Listen to your doctor! I know its tough when when you can't have a beer or a steak,but hey , stay healthy and ride!

posted this a little earlier this year in another gout section so it may not exactly answer your question. Hope this helps and you can do a search online for more information.

prednisone works as a rescue but is not a good alternative for long term therapy. There are many consiquences to taking corticosteroids for management of chronic problems.

Gout is a condition where hyperuricemia develops and crystals of monosodium urate are deposited in tissue causing a gout attack resulting in pain and inflammation.

95% of cases are in the male population and it occurs mainly between the ages of 30-50 yrs old.

Attacks are usually percipitated by something i.e. following illness/surgery, exercise, dietary changes, physical or emotional stress, etc.

Gout can be primary or secondary. Primary is an inborn metabolic defect to excret uric acid and secondary is usually caused by another issue i.e. leukemia, diuretic (water pill) use for high blood pressure, etc. You need to determine if you are primary or secondary. In primary you treat the disease in secondary you remove or treat the cause.

Treatment involves diet modification with low-purine foods (google this for a complete listing) but avoid anchovies, organ meat (liver, kidney) spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, oatmeal, Beef, Pork, Bacon, Lamb, Seafood, (shrimp, scallops, lobster not fish), Foods that are made with a significant amount of yeast such as beer and bread, etc. I would recommend using a food log for awhile to see if you can determine what is triggering your episodes then eliminate that source if possible.

Controling weight is also beneficial but avoid atkins or low carbohydrate diets, limit alcohol and avoid beer due to the hops and yeast, choose another alcoholic beverage if you must drink (its ok in moderation)

If you are taking medications for high blood pressure, avoiding diuretics may be helpful. Unfortunately diuretics are a common medication for blood pressure control but there are many other alternatives that work for high bloodpressure.

Motrin and aleve can be used for pain relief during an attack, Colchicine (perscription) given by mouth or IV is useful in controlling acute attacks and some studies have shown it is quicker at getting pain under control. Steroids can be used if patients are intolerant of other medications. Joint injections can be given when other medications are not helpful.

probenecid or allopurinol are used for chronic gout where patients cannot get control of attacks with diet modification and weight control. They are not very beneficial for acute attacks and should be started after your attack subsides. Sometimes gout attacks can occur with normal blood levels so treatment is more symptomatic rather than driven by lab values.

Indications for prophylaxis is more than 3 attacks yearly if you qualify go talk to your doctor about a perscription. Remember all medications have side effects so read all the info prior to starting a new medication.

The above summary is pretty complete; I'll just add my $0.02.

Colchicine works to get an attack under control, but you want to be careful with this stuff -- basically a poison.

Indomethicin is an NSAID that seems to be more effective on gout than ibuprofen.

Gout that is not controlled can lead to serious long-term joint problems.

I'd agree with the previous poster: if you have three or more attacks a year, I'd get in front of a doctor and do whatever it takes to get this under control. Allopurinol is not a big deal, but it takes a few weeks to be effective -- during which time you might have another attack. Get it done and over with.

I went off the gout for a few years and was ok, but then the attacks started coming back -- and in some very strange places (wrist? hip?). Back on it for the foreseeable future. I've had attacks spoil vacations and othe plans, and don't want that again.

--

Mark

I've had decent sucess with Indomethacin, when taken after a flare up.

In dealing with it for almost 20 years, the best thing I've found is to make sure you're always well hydrated. Dehydration seems to be the biggest trigger for me. I can usually feel it coming on, then I just drink as much water as I can stand. It usually chases it away.

Good luck, hope this helps.