Sign in to follow this  

Corbin Seat

Hey, I have an 08 DR 650 for about 2 months now. Sometimes on long rides over 60 miles my azz gets sore. Would a corbin seat help and are they worth the $$?

Everybody has a different idea of what is comfortable that being said I love my Corbin seat. Yes, it is firm and needs to be broken in but is still comfortable. It's also wider and gives your butt a little more support. My advise to you is to find someone with one and give it a try or just take your chances and sell it if you don't like it. I think most folks are very happy with them though.

Best addition to the bike if you ride any distance. The Corbin is heavy and expensive, but it tranforms the bike. I rode two back-to-back 650-mile days on the stock seat when I first got the bike and was nearly crippled. :worthy::busted: Fortunately I had five days to recover before I had to ride home again.

When I got back I wasted no time in ordering a Corbin. Now I can ride as long as I want and my :blah: is not a consideration. Paired with a 4.9 gallon IMS tank, you can quite happily cover a lot of ground.

BTW, Corbin now makes a seat that fits the stock tank so if a 100-mile range (before reserve) suits your riding habits, then that's an option too. 👍

Cheers,

Phil

The Corbin seat made a HUGE difference on my bike. I would highly recommend one to anyone looking for more comfort out of the DR.

+1 on the Corbin. Makes the bike useable for longer distance, IMO. Shift forward for riding on the dirt (the seat narrows, and has a more rounded profile), shift back a bit onto the wider section for the cruisier bits of the trip.

If you choose to go the Corbin path, make sure you give Jesse at KienTech a call....value and quality service.

i concur with the corbin's comfort level after putting 1,400 miles on an alaska rider dr650 rental. only problem was corbin couldn't make one to fit my 2000 with a stock tank even after 5 attepmpts. i should have gone through jesse for the fit check service. :-(

i got spencer seats for 1/4 the cost to mod my stock seat. it's not a corbin but i did a 2-day 500 mile dragonslayer ride and it worked just fine. no numb nuts but did get some saddle soreness. could have been my out of shape arse too. :-)

headed to meixco next march and the dr650 rental comes with a corbin! viva copper canyon!

bol,

steve

Hey, I have an 08 DR 650 for about 2 months now. Sometimes on long rides over 60 miles my azz gets sore. Would a corbin seat help and are they worth the $$?

I have a Corbin and it looks nice but that's about where my love for it stops.

It's over-weight. Worst place to add weight on a bike is up high.

It causes me to slide forward when I try to sit 5 inches rearward of all the way forward.

It has a funny dished shape which does not fit my rather average butt

It's too hard. Hard saddles are fine when they are custom fitted but do not work for most riders as an off the shelf solution.

The forward metal bracket is not designed to slip into the tank mounting bracket and the metal plate on the Corbin gouges the paint from the tank in this area. This leaves the front saddle tongue unstabilized left to right for off-road riding.

Did my bike come with a Corbin with the wrong bracket in front?

I think I'll just put the stocker back on.

Mike

I ordered my Corbin from Jesse. For one reason, he fits them to his bike to make sure they fit. If a batch of seats fit, he sells them. WHen I received it I was shocked at how heavy it was. But after riding with it I don't care how much it weighs. Heck for the few pounds differnet than the stock, I could loose that much weight! It is mainly the shape of the seat that makes it more comfy. It is wider where it needs it.

Braap,

My metal bracket has a piece of leather around it making for a very snug fit to the stock tank.

Those corbins are nice. The 2x4 plank for a seat gets old quick. Corbins are good if you have a huge ass, my friend has a huge ass, works wonders for him 👍

My metal bracket has a piece of leather around it making for a very snug fit to the stock tank.

Is the leather installed by Corbin? My Corbin has synthetic leather on the large front tongue but the upper metal bracket that is apparently designed to stablilize the top of the saddle tongue (where it wraps up the back of the fuel tank) is just bare metal and makes large gouges in the tank when I ride off-road and press into that tongue.

I replaced the Corbin with the OEM seat today, looks pretty good (although I wish it didn't say "Suzuki" in bold white letters on the black seat material).

Best thing, my bike weighs *three pounds* less than it did yesterday and all the weight was removed from up high. That weight in fuel would give me over 20 miles more range.

Mike

It's true about the Corbin bracket. I had to fabricate a new bracket from aluminum similar to to the one from this post https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547743&highlight=corbin+fix because the Corbin bracket was causing a bad vibration and trying to wear a hole in my tank. I also used some thick rubber tape in the affected area and it seems to work well.

I wonder if putting truck bedliner stuff on it would help. Or maybe the rubber coat you can buy at the hardware store?

I wonder if putting truck bedliner stuff on it would help. Or maybe the rubber coat you can buy at the hardware store?

It might help for one ride but the Corbin front point is so poorly designed it would wear through in short order. Only solution is to build a proper front mount. For the price this shouldn't be necessary. If the saddle was actually comfortable and allowed me to sit where I wanted I would take the time to make it right but my ass is begging me not to.

Mike

Sat on a Corbin yesterday (after sitting on my OEM POS for 6 hours!) and it felt nice. The owner ditched the Corbin bracket and made a competely new front seat pan mount using 16 guage music wire, works well for his stock tank, would not fit my IMS.

I hate my seat, have to do something

I waited until I had the bike for 1 year to buy a Corbin. You will develope some tolerance after 5k on the bike.

The difference I experienced was that after a 150-200 mile ride I can walk without staggering with the Corbin. Neither are that comfortable when riding the bike.

If i had it to do over I would look into sending the stock to Renazco. The Corbin is REALLY heavy and not cheap either.

I'll be using the stock seatpan to build my own this winter. I did the same for my Ducati ST4s and its the most comfortable and functional seat I've ever ridden on. I suspect the one I build for the DR will be a lot lighter than the Corbin AND a lot more comfortable.

Mike

Yes, Corbin rocks and its worth it.

Yes some have fitment issues. Yes its expensive. Yes its heavy. Yes, it's about 10x more comfortable than the stock 2x4!

When I ride, I don't want to go looking for gas station after 60 miles just because my behind is all numb. I want to look for gas when I am running out. 👍