Sign in to follow this  

XRL airing up the forks

I've got a 08 XRL and my front suspension is pretty mushy and I want to stiffen them up a little, but not rock hard. I know you can put up to 6#'s in each tube, but what should I use to put that air in them? I know NOT to use a compressor, but is a bicycle pump too much? I've seen those tiny little syringe looking things in the TT shop.

Next I need a decent air gauge that will read lower than 5#'s...accurately and compact and also go up to 25#'s. Any specific makers of what I'm looking for that seem to be better than others?

I'm going trail riding this weekend and just want to stiffen those forks up a little more. I put a tire gauge on them tonight and it almost seemed that there was hardly any air in there and that's when I realized that the little gauge that came with my tire repair kit starts out at 10#s

It's hard to add the small amount of air that is needed. A bike pump should work, but I doubt it will even take a full stroke to get it way over 6.

Adding oil has the same effect as adding air. It reduces the air volume so the pressure builds faster as the forks compress. Before I got stiffer springs I ran about 15mm above the recommended max, but no pressure.

You can increase the spring rate by chopping the springs replacing the removed section with a spacer. Someone did it a few months ago and was pleased with the results. I'm planning on doing the same thing.

Are you putting the spacer in addition to the stiffer springs? I want a stiffer set up also, but don't want to be jarred senseless:crazy: Are you going all out or should I expect to put in the spacer also. I'm 240 Lbs. I figure with a rifle, back pack (etc.) I'll have to max out with the springs.

I've got a 08 XRL and my front suspension is pretty mushy and I want to stiffen them up a little, but not rock hard. I know you can put up to 6#'s in each tube, but what should I use to put that air in them? I know NOT to use a compressor, but is a bicycle pump too much? I've seen those tiny little syringe looking things in the TT shop.

Next I need a decent air gauge that will read lower than 5#'s...accurately and compact and also go up to 25#'s. Any specific makers of what I'm looking for that seem to be better than others?

I'm going trail riding this weekend and just want to stiffen those forks up a little more. I put a tire gauge on them tonight and it almost seemed that there was hardly any air in there and that's when I realized that the little gauge that came with my tire repair kit starts out at 10#s

the easiest way is give the forks a quick shot of compressed air and use a high quality automotive tire guage with a built in bleeder to bleed it down...typically they r a dial guages 0-60psi w/ 1psi increments attached hose w/ a bleeder button(used to set race tire pressures)...

unless ur seals are shot don't worry about overpressure for short periods of time...

u dealing with a VERY small volume so quick shot of air is all that's necessary...and just checking the pressure u will lose 1-2psi...w/ sum testing i've found if i bleed it down to 7-8psi and remove the guage i end up with ~6psi the max rating for the L which i use with great success...it reduces front end dive and has prevented bottoming out of the forks offroad...the down side is a little harshness on the slab with things like expansion joints.

my forks hold the pressure very well...i have checked them after rides & cool down and after +30 days of setting the pressures with no change.

👍

the easiest way is give the forks a quick shot of compressed air and use a high quality automotive tire guage with a built in bleeder to bleed it down...typically they r a dial guages 0-60psi w/ 1psi increments attached hose w/ a bleeder button(used to set race tire pressures)...

unless ur seals are shot don't worry about overpressure for short periods of time...

u dealing with a VERY small volume so quick shot of air is all that's necessary...and just checking the pressure u will lose 1-2psi...w/ sum testing i've found if i bleed it down to 7-8psi and remove the guage i end up with ~6psi the max rating for the L which i use with great success...it reduces front end dive and has prevented bottoming out of the forks offroad...the down side is a little harshness on the slab with things like expansion joints.

my forks hold the pressure very well...i have checked them after rides & cool down and after +30 days of setting the pressures with no change.

👍

This is a 08 XRL and I just got to 800 miles, so the seals should be fine. I'm just a little nervous about using compressed air. I may go with the bike pump and get one of the good quality air guages with the bleeder valve that you mentioned.

I would rather increase the air in the forks to see how it works, than get new springs.

This is a 08 XRL and I just got to 800 miles, so the seals should be fine. I'm just a little nervous about using compressed air. I may go with the bike pump and get one of the good quality air guages with the bleeder valve that you mentioned.

I would rather increase the air in the forks to see how it works, than get new springs.

I would imagine when you bottom the forks the pressure goes quite high, so if you have a compressor with a regulator that goes down to 10, 15, or even 20 PSI I wouldn't sweat using a compressor.

Just don't ride before using a guage to bleed 'em down to the 6 psi.

Dave

I would imagine when you bottom the forks the pressure goes quite high, so if you have a compressor with a regulator that goes down to 10, 15, or even 20 PSI I wouldn't sweat using a compressor.

Just don't ride before using a guage to bleed 'em down to the 6 psi.

Dave

yup...air pressure is quite controversial...usally from people w/ modern forks...which these are not.:worthy:

one of the boys on the KLR board aired his forks up to 125psi to prove his point that u will not blow gud seals :blah:

i have not got around to checking pressures with the forks fully compressed but 100psi is not out of the realm of possibility(SWAG)

proper spring rates are the best answer but short of that air works well...👍

:busted:

P.S. and if ur real careful i promise u won't "put ur eyes out" 😛

P.S.S. i shudda change my fork oil when i first bought the bike...and still haven't done it yet :D i may do it this weekend since we've had nearly 3" of rain...if u ride alot offroad once a year is reasonable...mine has the original oil i believe :doh::bonk: several how-to's w/ pics available.

Okay, one more question, should the front tire be elevated, so that the fork is fully extended when filling it with air and checking the pressure?

the Clymer Manual says "front wheel off the ground"...

👍

The forks also have adjustments at the base, are those strictly for the rebound of the spring? I don't have any problems with the rebound, just front end dive on braking.

I am 230#'s and it almost sounds like I should look at getting some new Fork Springs done next year to accomodate, my err uhh huskiness.

The forks also have adjustments at the base, are those strictly for the rebound of the spring? I don't have any problems with the rebound, just front end dive on braking.

I am 230#'s and it almost sounds like I should look at getting some new Fork Springs done next year to accomodate, my err uhh huskiness.

That's for compression. No rebound adjustment.

That's for compression. No rebound adjustment.

AHHHHHHH, so I can fiddle with that before airing the forks up? I bet that thing is set REAAAAALLLY low. Looks like I need to get the front end off the ground and do some tweaking tonight.

Is there supposed to be any air in the forks to begin with? Should I get the front end off the ground and then push the pin in to release all air before adjusting it from the bottom? I ask, because when i went to test it with the gauge I had(didn't read below 10#s) I heard some air come out(just a little) I only did this to one fork, before realizing the gauge was inadequate, to add to that, the tire was on the ground at the time as well.

Are you putting the spacer in addition to the stiffer springs? I want a stiffer set up also, but don't want to be jarred senseless:crazy: Are you going all out or should I expect to put in the spacer also. I'm 240 Lbs. I figure with a rifle, back pack (etc.) I'll have to max out with the springs.

I'm not putting spacers in to increase preload. The spacers are to make up for what gets cut out.

I replaced my stock XR600 springs (.39 or .41 kg/mm) with some XR650L springs (.44kg/mm). I'm going to cut out about 2 to 3 inches and put in a spacer to make up that space. That should get the rate up to the .46 or .47 that I really need.

Don't forget that you need to get a new spring for the rear shock too.

I have always been told to bleed the air out after every ride! And it always has pressure in both sides after I ride?

AHHHHHHH, so I can fiddle with that before airing the forks up? I bet that thing is set REAAAAALLLY low. Looks like I need to get the front end off the ground and do some tweaking tonight.

Is there supposed to be any air in the forks to begin with? Should I get the front end off the ground and then push the pin in to release all air before adjusting it from the bottom? I ask, because when i went to test it with the gauge I had(didn't read below 10#s) I heard some air come out(just a little) I only did this to one fork, before realizing the gauge was inadequate, to add to that, the tire was on the ground at the time as well.

on the forks there's like 14-15 clicks of adjustment...fully clockwise in from the slotted screwdrivers perspective is max compression...3 clicks out (counter-clockwise) from max compression is the "standard" factory setting...mine are at 2-3 from max w/~6psi of preload air...it's somewhat important that preload air is equal on both forks.

👍

I have always been told to bleed the air out after every ride! And it always has pressure in both sides after I ride?

it probably makes more sence to bleed down to zero psig (atmospheric) before a ride when they are cool...if u bleed to zero while hot/warm and then they cool down u'll be below atmospheric once cool...

👍

it probably makes more sence to bleed down to zero psig (atmospheric) before a ride when they are cool...if u bleed to zero while hot/warm and then they cool down u'll be below atmospheric once cool...

:worthy:

Thats is how I do it, usually before I ride again! Thanks! 👍 What I want to know is if after each ride I have air in the chamber, if I pump it up to say 6 psi would it not go higher after the ride and why? :busted: