New 3 Gal IMS Tank Install

I just received my new tank from Hall's today and went ahead and put it on. All told it took about an hour and truth be told I have almost zero mechanical skills and was able to do it pretty easily and it even works! I would imagine someone with actual skills can do it much faster.

I went ahead and took pics along the way because I think that would have helped me quite a bit and made the process a little faster.

So here goes.

A couple shots of the new tank.

TankFront.jpgTankTop.jpg

TankUnder.jpgtankunderfront.jpg

Then I removed the bolts and drained the tank. I did a bad job at this and managed to get a fair amount on the garage floor.

Siphon.jpg

Under the seat it was a quick disconnect for the fuel and then a connector for the EFI.

FuelDisconnect.jpgfuelandefi.jpg

I pulled off the old tank and removed the fuel pump and moved it to the new tank.

EFITransfer.jpgEFI.jpg

EFIInstalled.jpg

The next part was to trim the airflow pieces. That wasn't hard but I kept hoping I wasn't doing it wrong. Luckily it seems to have worked out okay. If it looks bad don't tell me, denial is a great thing.

withairflow.jpgWithoutairflow.jpg

aircutmounted.jpg

Then I just connected the fuel and EFI. Bolted it on and everything matched up great.

fuelandefi.jpg

And here it is. Now it needs to stop raining so I can get a ride in.

Mounted3.jpgMounted01.jpg

Final.jpgfinal2.jpg

I started it up and ran it for a while checking for leaks and all appears fine.

Hope that helps anyone getting ready to give it a try.

• Like 7

I have a question about the motosportz disk guards you have.I bought some and after i installed the front,the disk seems to drag in the caliper a little bit,when the front wheel is lifted it dosent spin freely. I have centered the forks on the axel,but it didn't help,any ideas whats going on ??

I have a question about the motosportz disk guards you have.I bought some and after i installed the front,the disk seems to drag in the caliper a little bit,when the front wheel is lifted it dosent spin freely. I have centered the forks on the axel,but it didn't help,any ideas whats going on ??

I haven't had any issues with the disk guards but I imagine if you email Kelly at Motosportz he would have some ideas.

I installed mine today and it didn't really want to sit down on the post. If I took the rubber washer off it did pretty good, but with them on it's not sitting the way I'd like it to.

Oh well, guess that's something I'll have to live with.

Nice pics. I have the Motosportz damper, so my first step is to remove the forks and take the top end off the steering head and remove the post clamp. I have been putting it off for a couple of days, (it just goes against my nature to tear apart a perfect bike) but I think today is the day. ? Ken

TE250

I installed mine today with some help from George. The instructions are pretty good ....if you read them.....!!! The screws in the bumpers are wood screws, to be replaced by the provided machine screws. Small item to note.

Didn't leak, started etc. Just have to trim the last bit of the plastic.

I took it over to have George look at it as it didn't seem to want to seat properly, as if there was a piece of the FI hanging up inside. Eventually he got it in and that was that.

Kind of nice to have a see through tank as well as the oil sight on the case and a nice visible water res. IMG_5811.jpg

Would you let us know what the actual usable fuel capacity is. I had 4 gal IMS on a drz400 several years ago but the pickup was relatively high up and I could only use about 3.25 gal. That was a lot of extra weight to carry around for nothing.

If you can actually get 3 gal out of the tank I'd put one on and then pull my lambda and still be able to get 100 miles on a tank!

Would you let us know what the actual usable fuel capacity is. I had 4 gal IMS on a drz400 several years ago but the pickup was relatively high up and I could only use about 3.25 gal. That was a lot of extra weight to carry around for nothing.

If you can actually get 3 gal out of the tank I'd put one on and then pull my lambda and still be able to get 100 miles on a tank!

I'll see what I can do. I'd like to know before we go to Baja.