Sign in to follow this  

My 09 pickup, and ride report! with pictures!

Wow what a day. Probly one of the most exciting days of my life. I’m 27 and felt like a 12 year old on Christmas. Here is the story, some pictures, and my review of the bike. We went down to do the paperwork around lunch and caught it in the crate and got some pictures. They put it together this afternoon and we picked it up at 5. When we arrived and it was parked outside on the triangle stand. At this point I immediately pulled the ramp out and loaded it to rush to the track as quick as possible. (5 minute drive from my dealer )

Background: I’m a novice about to go amateur owned 125s, 05crf250 and currently own a 2006 KXF250f and a 2006 Honda CRF450 which is an absolute monster. My best friend I ride with and I have been sharing bikes with until now (he’s getting his own 09 kx250f). He is a top 10 amateur rider and has very good feel. He sets up race Porsches and BMWs for work. I’m also into cars and have a good feel for setting them up and tuning. We we sell, service and tune BMW M3’s for a living. We are all about cornering!

Acquisition: I called a bunch of dealers around in ct ect and I’ve been a long time customer of Midtown Kawasaki in Rocky Hill, CT. I ended up purchasing it there. They made me very happy. On Tuesday I walked in and inquired on the 09. They said they have the first one coming in tomorrow do I want it? We worked out price and out came my deposit.

Fit and Finish: This bike is awesome the way its put together. Plastics fit nice. The airbox is narrower but it wasn’t that hard to get the filter out to oil it up. No doubt it’s a better build than my 06 and Kawasaki is def putting a lot more attention into the details. The forks are sweet. The plastics being black look like they should hold up well and its nice thick plastic.

The place: Rocky Hill MX Park in Rocky Hill CT. Conditions were nice tacky clay in some corners and some hard pack dusty sections. I got to spend about 35mintues on the bike. My laptimes were actually 9 seconds faster on the 250f compared to my beast 450.

Setup: First thing we did was set sag to 102mm and did our break in. This consisted of 30 minutes of medium acceleration to the top of the gears and some engine breaking into the corners. I break my bikes in this way and have had no issues on my 450 and 06 250f and have tons of trouble free hours. We then brought the bike in let it cool and made adjustments. I went down two clicks all around and just adjusted bars and levers. The rider position on this bike is awesome compared to the 06. It sits up you nice on the tank unlike the 06 where you are constantly working to stay forward.

Starting: The bike starts with EASE. It’s like effortless to get it going when its hot and cold didn’t matter just a light kick and it started

Sound: Awesome its got a good rasp and when the bike is running its really tight with not much vibration running through the frame when you rev it. The motors internals are really quiet when its running.

Immediate first impressions: very smooth forgiving low end power. Its got a awesome midrange with good response. The top end is ridiculous! The gears really pull and it has a much broader power band over the 06 which feels flat in comparison. You can actaully be at the bottom of 4th and its got the power to pull you hard through the gear. Other 250fs I've ridden dog at the bottom of 4th.

Braking Big improvement over my 06. The brakes finally feel as good as my Honda. I think Kawasaki figured this out for the 07 or 08

Cornering: Bike lays down easy and feels like a good light 250f. Not on the level of a 05 yz125 but tracks great. It felt best in long 3rd and 4th gear sweeping corners. It has great feel when you are flat tracking corners where its really easy to make adjustments when sliding the rear end. Out of all the 250f’s I’ve ridden the Yamaha really sticks out to me as one of the best at those really tight 2nd gear rutted corners you get at Rocky Hill and the Honda's in my opinion have the best overall feel. I must say it’s a big improvement over my 06 in these types tight turns. You always feel like you are in a good body position on the 09 but still in those tight ones I prefer to be a little more forward. Besides the awesome motor the confidence you get taking fast sweepers stuck out to me the most!

Jumping: nothing special, all the 250fs now feel pretty alike in the air. No bike stands out to me as for say “really easy to whip” or really light ect..

Suspension: I thought it was awesome my buddy thinks he needs to spend more time setting it up. My 06 is re-valved and set up perfect. Its just going to take some time to get the 09 right but right out of the box I cant see any novice/amateur rider complaining. I didn’t really feel it being narrower. I plan on putting 20 hours on the stock setup then re-valving at the first suspension servicing.

Mechanics: So far I've noticed two things. OIL CAPACITY IS REDUCED. horray! Now it only takes .8quarts instead of 1.2 or whatever my 06 was. Meaning less than ONE BOTTLE. The other thing thats differnt is you no longer have to fight that motor mount like on the 06 to get the valve/cam cover off. I think this was changed for 07/08. There is now plenty of room to work in there to take it off.

So to sum it all up:

The good: the motor is awesome. Pulls nicely and has a very broad powerband with a killer top end that keeps pulling. Its also got a great rider position over previous models that sit you up more on the bike that gives you tons of confidence in fast sweeping corners. It looks awesome and has a great build. We will see how reliability goes but I’m expecting it to be rock solid with the new changes.

The bad: The grips. They are SHORT. I do not know what they were thinking but when I thought about it and in rough sections it felt like my hand was going to come off the bar and I was fighting at times to keep my thumb over as much as possible. I’ll be purchasing new standard size grips for mine. The low-end is much more mellow than my 06. Doesnt have the grunt, but overall this is for the better with nice crips smooth acceleration. So far this is the only thing. All these bikes from every manufacture are soo close now it’s tough to choose. I think Kawasaki though is leading with this motor and if its as reliable as they say they will have lots of happy customers.

Enjoy the pictures!

crate.jpg

crateopen.jpg

crate1.jpg

readyforpickup.jpg

loaded.jpg

bestpic.jpg

forks.jpg

engine.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

bikeatrocky1.jpg

• Like 1

:worthy:

Good writeup, I take it you like the bike?👍

very nice write up...im starting to feel jealous...kawasaki went all out this year...it is as if the sum of the changes that were made for the other 4 top brands combined is probably the same amount as the changes that were made to the 09 alone..

Yes, no doubt I love it! Just those short grips! I have to say its pretty amazing now that these motors can deliver this kind of performance and go 100+ hours on just oil changes and maybe a shim here and there. I also feel there is no need to modify the motor.

Congrats man that looks sick .. Im picking up a 08 kx250f today .. cant wait

You should not show the uncrating pic's... Dealers everywhere will hunt you down!.. Your cutting into their $200+ prep fee, putting a wheels and bars on is tough work ya know...

wonder why they don't have brown hubs anymore I loved that..

jeff did you have that the day i was there?

Nope, we picked it up on Wednesday. I didnt see any 144sx's there. Congrats on the bike!

NMdesert racer I'll look tomorrow.

Nope, we picked it up on Wednesday. I didnt see any 144sx's there. Congrats on the bike!

NMdesert racer I'll look tomorrow.

thanks, I LOVE IT!!! and its way cooler then your KXF..haha

i'll be at rocky next saturday.

Man I'm so jealous... I have to wait til November to get mine. The close up pics of the engine are really helpfull. I thought they were pretty much leaving the basics alone on the engine and going all new around it.... I'm wrong obviuously. I am happy about that.

i have to admit..its not as fugly as i expected. The exhaust kills the looks department, imo...other than that its sexy..and have fun :]

I love the Clean look of the bike when its brand new. nothing like it

i have to admit..its not as fugly as i expected. The exhaust kills the looks department, imo...other than that its sexy..and have fun :]

Wow, I thought you hated kawi so bad you wouldn't ever give anything a compliment. HAHA

Welcome back trouble maker. HAHA Maybe we can get along and actuly have some sweet cool conversations instead of some crap talk..

Well, nice talkin to you.. You do bring some caractor here weather some people believe it or not. You're welcome here anytime just don't abuse it this time hahaha

I rode my buddies (works at a shop so he got the first one) WOW that thing :censored:s all over my 07 yz250f the power is almost like a 450. so smooth but fast at the same time. Im trying to sell my bike to get one.