Sign in to follow this  

Modifying Rear Wheel to Fit Front?

I've been thinking about converting to some F3 streetbike wheels on my 250 project, but lately i have been tossing the idea around about modifying a stock xr250 18" wheel to fit on the front. Has anyone attempted this? I know you'd need to machine some parts i'm sure, but who has any more information about WHAT parts need to be changed?

Well i looked at the sizing without taking the wheels off the bike and it looks like it could be done. If you cut off and then machined the sprocket side down it looks like you would only need to have a spacer made for the axle. I'm not sure how centered it would be though, i think i'm going to order a spare rear wheel soon. Also, a bracket MAY have to be made for the caliper.. i'll know for sure tomorrow when i do some test fitting

Why not just lace an 18 inch hoop to the stock front hub? I've seen CRF's with the 19 front and rear done that way.

Why not just lace an 18 inch hoop to the stock front hub? I've seen CRF's with the 19 front and rear done that way.

Yep, set her up like a TT or dirt track bike. 19 up front 18 out back.

Well i didn't want to put money into a set of 17" wheels, but i wanted a fatter front tire for more grip for the street. If i was to relace the stock front hub with a rear rim, do you think i'll need spokes? I don't know if the stockers will be long enough..

if youre wanting better performance on the road.

1. keep the standard rims and get some good street tyres

there should be no lack of front grip if youre suspension is set up correctly

2.if you want it to look the part and the best performance aswell, spend the money on 17 inch.

this will give you a better selection of tyres

cheers

a