Sign in to follow this  

time to revisit the Air Screen Concept...

I've searched and read the responses to the Air Box Screen removal questions and I found no compelling responses that suggest there is no benefit. I mean there is obviously a lack of air flow in the box...ive never had a bike that actually had a thick metal screen in it, then again every bike ive owned has been a motocross model and it seems like every mod i read about in this forum including the 3X3 is an attempt to make these drz's more like their racing counterparts. the suction from the carb has to be constricted by this screen. Im considering pulling it out..i just put in a k&n so theres no worry about and fragments being sucked in.

also the 3x3 mod does increase airflow but the hole is still under the seat:banghead: ...im considering going down to pepboys and purchasing a few of those ghetto airscoops and molding them into my rear shrouds...sure the 3x3 takes the suction from a coffee straw to a jumbo straw but i think removing the screen and opening up some air ports will take it from a jumbo to big mouth coors light can with a hole stabbed in it to shotgun with:banana:

What are your thoughts?

the box pulls from the seat because that's the most stable air mass. Scoops or holes anywhere else will make the airbox pressure subject to the whims of wind gusts, buffeting, etc. at speed. You want your airbox pressure to be as consistent as possible for good fuel metering.

The screen may restrict airflow, but I doubt it's the most restrictive point in the system. Removing it is unlikely to gain much. I'm sure someone's tried it on a dyno.

...sure the 3x3 takes the suction from a coffee straw to a jumbo straw but i think removing the screen and opening up some air ports will take it from a jumbo to big mouth coors light can with a hole stabbed in it to shotgun with:banana:

What are your thoughts?

The way it was splained to me the 3x3 airbox mod is NOT about airflow in the sense of "restriction" like a straw but about tuning in the sense of airbox resonance. Lots of experimentation lead to the 3x3 mod.

Realize that its a 400cc motor, making about 50hp at the crank. Plenty of much more powerful multi cylinder engines (making 150hp or more) breath through holes that are 3x3 or smaller. How big is the throttle body and air intake hose on your car?

so getting back to the screen: Flow - at least the way you describe it isnt really a problem for the engine, the problem is one cylinder trying to take slugs of air from a relativley small airbox volume. So the screen doesnt cause any kind of restriction and it wont do any good to remove it.

The screen is not restrictive. Nothing to gain from its' removal. It is there not to prevent debris from entering (that's the air filters job) rather it is to prevent a backfire from causing an under seat fire.

Putting scoops on will cause you to have inconsistant jetting. Going larger than the 3X3 on any engine that is not fully worked will only require richer jetting and no Hp gains.

I guess too, it gives a bit more protection for deep water, you wouldnt want the the engine sucking in water through the carb.