Sign in to follow this  

The Extraction BTW What Were You Guys Thinking

Okay let's start with a little background information here. Last Sunday Craig (Bellec), Paul, Anthony (STJohn), Dave (Hillclimbguy) and Dave Jr headed out for what was suppose to be a nice 3 hour tour (Yes that's a reference to Gilligan's Island since it kind of applies here). Instead they started out as five riders but ended up as five hikers. 👍

Someone and I won't mention who Craig lead them down what I'll call the CANYON OF NO RETURN. By the time they realized how much trouble they were in it was to late. After five hours of dragging/pulling/pushing/lowering the bikes over all kinds of obstacles trying to work their way to the bottom of the canyon they hit a point where they were screwed and couldn't go any further. :doh: Out of energy and water it was time to throw in the towel so they abandoned the bikes and started the hike out. A rescue call was placed to Glenn (Surfdog) who jumped in his truck and brought a supply of drinks and transportation back to the original starting point. :worthy::busted::blah: Like I mentioned at the start of this thread this all happened on Sunday while the extraction takes place on Wednesday.

To give you an idea of how much trouble they had gotten themselves into Paul had already priced out how much it was going to cost to have helicopter lift all of the bikes out. :D Our extraction crew will consist of three of the riders that got into this mess Craig (Bellec), Paul, Dave (Hillclimbguy) plus Jr (Turf Tamer), Chad (Neversurfaced) and Gentry.

Here's a few pictures of the hike back to where the bikes are.

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

Looking down to where the bikes are waiting.

IMG_1538.jpg

Zoomed in for a better view. That's Gentry already down there with the bikes.

IMG_1539.jpg

Chad hooking up the rope and pulley system.

IMG_1540.jpg

Chad heading down.

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

Chad, Dave and Gentry.

IMG_1547.jpg

More to come.

Glad to hear you guys are alright. Sounds like you were following Fletcher's GPS and heading down Hatchet Canyon! LOL Hope everything works out for you.

The first two bikes at about the half way point.

IMG_1548.jpg

Just looking down from the same point.

IMG_1549.jpg

Trying to get Anthony's bike down to where the pulley system is set up.

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

Sure doesn't look like Paul and Craig are having very much fun here does it?

IMG_1553.jpg

Can you say steep? :worthy:

IMG_1554.jpg

And slippery. :busted:

IMG_1555.jpg

This picture gives you a better perspective of what they're really having to deal with. 👍

IMG_1556.jpg

I did mention that it was steep right? :blah::D:doh:

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

What about rocky did I mention it was rocky? 😛

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

Well they made it to where the other bikes are.

IMG_1561.jpg

Next up will be now the hard work can begin.

First though both Jr and Dave taking a break.

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

Two pictures showing the pulley system at work. For those who are curious as to how it works basically as the bike is coming up the hill the extraction team is pulling/running the rope down the hill. Sure sounds like alot of work to me. 👍

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

A few more pictures as they're getting Dave Jr's bike up the hill.

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Start of the second pulley set up. The tree to the left was the first pulley point.

IMG_1575.jpg

All I have to say here is WOW :busted::worthy::blah:

IMG_1576.jpg

More to come.

• Like 1

Oh man I'm glad I went riding with Chad at Ballinger on Sunday and not this (mis)adventure.

I've been lucky enough to never needed to go to those kind of lengths to extract bikes. There were a few occasions where I thought that I was going to need to , but I've always been able to ride out even when I was 100% sure that I could not.

Hey I could have done that. 🤣🤣

IMG_1577.jpg

Dave when it comes to hillclimbs you are the man. 👍

IMG_1578.jpg

Wait a second aren't you suppose to be riding that bike. :doh:

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

That's Jr picking up Dave Jr's bike to finish off this part of the climb. :worthy:

IMG_1583.jpg

Last picture and it just gives you a different view to better show what they'd managed to get themselves into.

IMG_1582.jpg

Well now what lesson's can we all learn from this experience????????

LESSON 1 NEVER LET CRAIG LEAD A RIDE

LESSON 2 NEVER GO DOWN ANYTHING THAT YOU'RE NOT SURE YOU CAN RIDE BACK UP

LESSON 3 IF YOU IGNORED LESSON'S 1&2 MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CHAD, JR AND GENTRY WITH YOU SO THEY CAN SAVE YOUR ARSE'S

To the extraction crew all I have to say is. :busted::blah::D Sure am glad that I wasn't there for either the ride or the extraction. But I sure did enjoy seeing the pictures and hearing the story. Hope to ride with you all soon as long as we don't let Craig lead. :banghead:😛🤣🤣

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would consider going down that cliff to begin with. Did it not look as bad when you started down?

Just so you know, after the pulley systems we still had to ride the side of the mountain for about a quarter of a mile while carrying a bunch of crap that was both carried in and stuff that was left from the ride 👍

• Like 1

Ummmmm..... I'm speechless.

Kind of glad I'm back on the east coast.

HuskyRips:worthy:

Any one want to go on a ride:ride: I know a great single track in the local mountains:applause:

For Sunday a big thanks to Glen (surfdog) without him we would have been really scr*wed.

For weds. Chad (neversurfaced) brought out all rescue gear and hiked it in (about a 60lb pack). That boy has got some serious endurance.

Jr. (turftamer), he brought youth and endurance to the extraction team! Jr. was an absolute animal. He rode several of the bikes up the pulley system and I did it once and it takes a lot of muscle and energy.

My buddy Gentry another endurance athlete who did whatever was asked of him. He must have ran up and down that hill at least 10 times.

Glen (surfdog), Jr. (turftamer), Chad (neversurfaced), and Gentry, you guys are the real deal. When a TT brother is in need, you guys were right there to lend a hand. TT talk has some of the best members that you can count on!

• Like 1

OH SHIZ, The photos are blocked on my computer at work and I was already counting sheep when you posted Walt. I'll Just say, A round of applause to all the helped. Is Craig not the guy that tried to mate his bike with a Husky?

Can't wait to get home tonight so I can read and visualize the carnage.

Gary

Just so you know, after the pulley systems we still had to ride the side of the mountain for about a quarter of a mile while carrying a bunch of crap that was both carried in and stuff that was left from the ride 👍

Also we had to fix an 07 450exc, on Sunday during one of the nasty downhill rocky sections. The bike flipped over and landed on a big rock that bent the crap out of his rear sprocket. Unfortunately he didn't realize it and went to take off. The chain derailed and jammed into the counter sprocket badly. This was the first bike abandoned and at that point the rest of us thought we were still going to get out.

So on Weds, Paul and I hike up to the KTM. Some how managed to unjam the chain and then install a new chain and rear sprocket. Then muscle it down to the extraction site.

I marked the location of the bikes on the GPS and as we drove up on Weds. and finally parked. We were only 3/4 of a mile away. So close yet so far!

I'll definitely need to look you guys up if/when I come back to cali. Days like that are surreal...leave an imprint that never goes away. Good read! You're full on gas, not sure what else I can do, but 👍

I never thought anyone could beat Superslyko for ride stupidity, but congratulations you guys are the new champs.....👍 .........other then that guy on the KTM who went riding in the snow storm last year in the middle of winter and got lost :worthy:

Coming from a man who doesn't know how to kick-start a bike but knows how to stick a pencil down a cylinder............. that means a lot! 👍:worthy:

TT comes through again! Kudos to the extraction team!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!!:busted:

• Like 1

Just so you know, after the pulley systems we still had to ride the side of the mountain for about a quarter of a mile while carrying a bunch of crap that was both carried in and stuff that was left from the ride :busted:

Ride the side of a 50-degree slope in loose, kitty-litter decomposed granite that has NO traction!! :worthy:

Getting the bikes up the side of the hill was pretty straight forward – riding Paul’s coolant-puking KTM out with that pack on my back in loose, fu*ked-up terrain without ANY riding gear was the crux for me… Had to get off the bike and keep scouting the “trail” because you sure as hell didn’t want to ride anywhere you couldn’t push.

Good job everyone – very little down time! Overall that was a very efficient 7 or so hours. Get in, get the bikes, get out – no fu*king around 👍

Now where’s my shovel????

Well guys I can honestly say im glad I passed up the ride when I was invited. it looks like you guys had a good system set up for the extraction and still looks really tiring, glad everyone and the bikes made it out okay:applause:

everytime your leading down a canyon for now on Craig do we all have to stop now and and see where it goes:p

It looks as though myself and a few others will be on a similar mission this coming Sunday. Exact senario.

The pictures dont give it justice on how steep that canyon was. Lots of hard work.

Many thanks to all who showed up. Without them we would still be in there.

Jr. I owe much. I dont have much. But I owe you. You save my butt. Youth sure helps.

Chad and Gentry, cant thank you enouph. Chad you are an animal hauling that pack around.

Paul thanks for bringing my hat, giving me a ride back to the truck and sorry for the long drive out on the fire roads.

Craig, I follow you anywhere, just not that canyon. I have it marked on the GPS as STAY THE F__K OUT!

I have the ok to ride on Sunday. Where are we going? I bought a new tow strap.

Walt Sr. Thanks for the report. My legs are all scratched up from riding out of that canyon. I will be mentally prepared when we get all get together for the krap you guys will give us for riding down that canyon. Dont be easy on us. We deserve it.

Anytime I can return the favor, just let me know.I wont hesitate to be there for a buddy in need and will bring a camera.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would consider going down that cliff to begin with. Did it not look as bad when you started down?

Yeah it did!👍