Sign in to follow this  

Ford Ranger tranny BLOWN!!! :(

So after 152,000 reliable miles, my GF's Ranger blew the tranny. It's a '99 and has been stone cold reliable until now. I guess this is to be expected, just bad timing as we are expecting a child soon, and besides my street bike its the only vehicle we have.

For all you experts... is it necessary to rebuild the entire tranny if it only lost one gear? The truck wont go anywhere in first, but if you put it in second it will get going, then I just put it in overdrive and its fine until I stop again. If we could just have what needs to be fixed done, that would be great... but I'm afraid the cost of a full rebuild will make me cry.

What should I be prepared to spend?

Thanks all!

my TH350 cost me 700 to get rebuilt

This trans is far from the simplicity of a TH350.

With today's electronics, it could be something simple and cheap as a shift servo-really hard to tell without doing some diagnosis work.

I searched the net, and alot of ford trannies that had the same symptoms turned out to have a bad DTR, or valve body gasket (VB). I hope its something simple like that, and not in need of a full rebuild....

you may indeed not have to rebuild it completely, which could save you a lot of cash. In any case, it's often the labor that's the killer. It'll be cheaper if it's 2wd!

Generally, anytime I've had a shop pull an auto 2wd tranny and look at it I've been in it for 1,000.

I have a ranger w/ manual, it's got it's own problem. They don't build trannies like they used to. I routinely used to get 250,000 out of th400s and the new th700 replacement, whatever they call that, in the full size chevies.

Now ( prepare yourself for horror ), my ranger's clutch died ( thanks in part I assume to the wheel spinning clutch abusing antics of the previous owner ) shortly after I purchased it used. You sittin down? > 2000 at the dealer to pull a manual w/4x4. Granted I had them replace everything including the stupid master/slave cylinder .. but still, that was almost 1/2 the purchase price of the thing, lol.

4r44e 4 speed tranny I assume? I dont think you could only lose first in the 5r55e. If its the 4 speed 4r44e and first is the ONLY gear not affected, the rear one way clutch is not holding. Remove tranny, completely gutwad and replace. The labor is going to be the same thing to replace just the one way clutch as to rebuild it. You dont go into a tranny without replacing all the pistons seals, cheap insurance. Most places will replace all the frictions while they are in there, they are cheap but that isnt really needed. Clutches with 150k can have no wear. But that will only save you maybe 30 bucks.

Expect any where from 1700-2500 range

May I ask why you gotta pay the bill for your g/fs truck lol?

We live together and completely share bills/ she is getting a civic, and her truck will now be mine... sucks nonetheless

She has put me through college though

I have gone through and helped rebuildmore than one 4 speed manual with overdrive thats lost just a single gear. If you have good mechanical skills, I say go for it. It will take quite a bit of time from start to finish but its not anything ridiculously impossible. You just have to be extremely patient and have a good manual next to you to guide you through it. I would go through and check each of the other gears to check for damage and possible failure from them in the near future. Parts would be less than $400. Labor is what really kills you at a dealership. Also check your reciept as some dealerships will try to charge you for work you did not authorize or was not neccessary.

I have gone through and helped rebuildmore than one 4 speed manual with overdrive thats lost just a single gear. If you have good mechanical skills, I say go for it. It will take quite a bit of time from start to finish but its not anything ridiculously impossible. You just have to be extremely patient and have a good manual next to you to guide you through it. I would go through and check each of the other gears to check for damage and possible failure from them in the near future. Parts would be less than $400. Labor is what really kills you at a dealership. Also check your reciept as some dealerships will try to charge you for work you did not authorize or was not neccessary.

I appreciate the encouragement, however this is our only vehicle (besides my zx9r) and we cant afford to spend that much time on a rebuild. You mentioned dealership? Theres no way in hell I will take any vehicle to a dealership unless its covered by a warranty. I took it to a small local shop that has done transmissions for my father at reasonable prices in the past. Im hoping to get out of this for around $1K... 👍