Sign in to follow this  

XR600R hanging idle & pinging

'97 XR600R

4500 feet and up, up to 95 degrees

opened up air box, 11:1 piston, stock muffler running both open and restricted end caps

62 pilot, 155 main, fuel screw 2.5 turns, not sure of needle placement.

I have been having issues with a hanging idle which will sometimes disappears with a throttle blip, pinging (detonation) in the upper 1/2 throttle range under load, and low rpm bogging at high altitudes.

Advice?

I know the pinging could probably be taken care of with race gas but figured proper jetting couldn't hurt.

Put in 1.4 gallons of 110 (C12) octane race fuel and things are much improved. No pinging and no hanging idle. Strange...

When I screw the fuel screw in it takes about 2 turns to do anything, then the idle jumps up and stays there till it seats. Does not die like it should. Sounds like I might be too lean but the plug is a nice dark milk chocolate color and I bog real bad above 10,000 feet which leads me to believe I am on the rich side of things.

I've got a 58 PJ that I will throw in there. See if that helps. Do I need to change the pilot jet to compensate for either the open end or spark arrestor on the exhaust. I can definitely notice a performance difference when the spark arrestor is removed.

Put the 58 in and the same thing happens with the fuel screw and seems like the hanging idle has gotten worse...👍