Sign in to follow this  

newbie tire question.. sorry

okay so i have an 06' kx250f and i'm contemplating putting road tires on it. the only problem is that i've been getting into this section of tt and it seems to me that every bike i see is running the 17' rim sets. i dont really want to spend that kind of money so is there any way i can find tires that will go over the stock dirt rims? and if there is i cant seem to find them. i have no idea how the sizing on these tires works because they are all ment for the 17' supermoto rims. any help would be appreciated sorry for the dumb question for those of you more "experienced" riders

You are limited in your choice of tires with the stock dirt size rims. You will not find performance street tires that fit the dirt rims. You can find street oriented dualsport tires and tires for older/vintage bikes that will work on those rims. As long as you ride within the limits of the tires you should be fine.

You are limited in your choice of tires with the stock dirt size rims. You will not find performance street tires that fit the dirt rims. You can find street oriented dualsport tires and tires for older/vintage bikes that will work on those rims. As long as you ride within the limits of the tires you should be fine.

I would think that if the Gripsters and Distanzias work well for those that are racing in the sportsman class (i.e. 21" front 18" rear,) they would work well for a casual streetrider on a 250f.

WoodsChick

As I said, "As long as you ride within the limits of the tires you should be fine."

They do work in Sportsman class racing, but only because everybody is on the same sportsman tires. But since he made no mention of racing, I'll stick with he should be fine as long as he rides it within the limits of the tires.

if you have a 19" rim the selection is pretty slim compared to that of an 18". but you can reverse mount a 110/100/19 front tire on the rear, the michelin anakee was pretty good for me, i have also run shinko tires that were pretty good too (i am more competitive in the sportsman class with dirt rims than i was in the other more advanced classes with 17's)

I think running a sportsman set-up would be a hoot! Ultimately, unless you get into suspension mods, 17's will only help to a varying degree.

My Avons are coming as part of the Motostrano Sportsman Conversion. Looking forward to getting everything installed. I've been running around town on a set of Dunlop D606 knobbies. I'm expecting the Avons to be a bit of an improvement.