Sign in to follow this  

XR Front end swapping

I've got a pair of 79 500 XR's that I'm rebuilding into cafe racers for street use by the wife and myself. I've had the bikes from new so they are no mystery but.....

The 23" front wheels had to go. I bought an XR 250 set of forks (35 MM just like my 500's), backing plate and 21" wheel separately. The backing plate fits the hub but the tab on the backing plate does not align with the slot on the fork leg. The slot on the fork leg is in the exact same position as the ones on my 500's so I'm wondering which part is wrong. The tubes did not come off of another 500 as they are about 1 -1 1/2" shorter. Which is what I wanted.

Any ideas?

I am currently looking at an XR 350 front for the second bike. If the 250 and 500 were 35 mm then they should be also.

Idealy I would like a 19" up front if anyone has thoughts on that also. I would prefer to match the rear rims(DID).

Blacky

I used a 21" off of my 82 on my 81. I had the same backing plate issues with other bikes. Maybe the 82 21 inch will fit your 79 also? You could also relace the 21" with your origional hub.