Sign in to follow this  

Play on the counter shaft - normal?

It was setting my chain last night and noticed that with the bike in gear there is rotation equal to about two sprocket teeth of play on the front sprocket or counter shaft before the gearing bites - it that normal?

If that is normal then what's the point in doing the loctite fix on the counter shaft splines if there is that much play in the gear box anyway?

Cheers:ride:

Phew - okay, I've just finished the P-nut and other fixes and didn't want to have the take the cover off again.

So can anybody explain what the loctite achieves if there is already so much slack in the box?

Is it that the slack I'm feeling is from the gears etc and the thread lock is to stop backlash between the sprocket and the counter shaft gear?

The slack is known as "drive line snatch". When the CS nut is tight, the CS sprocket does not move however under extreme conditions when suddenely nailing the throttle for example, the sprocket could move a tiny bit. You'd never get/notice it when rolling the wheel on the stand. Over time, this causes some wear which in turn enables the sprocket to become loose. So the goal is not drive line snatch reduction but eliminating a wear point.

mine had the same amount of play when I did the CS loctite fix day before yesterday. It was a bit alarming at first, until I got everything back together and tried to roll it back and forth in gear and saw how very little movement that play allows once it's translated through the sprocket ratio to the rear wheel.

It still seems odd to me, like that much play would cause a huge impact to the driveline when changing from acceleration to engine braking and back. But I guess it's not bad enough to cause any damage.

Glad I'm not the only one who got alarmed by the play - cheers MesserSchmidt :-)

I still don't really understand what's going on in the gear box and what bolt is mushrooming against 2nd gear - blah blah blah.

Then I've never split down a gearbox either so I probably better just bow to the experts that have and get some loctite on the counter shaft splines.

80ft lb does seem excessive to put on the sprocket though - I had trouble keeping the bike still with me on the bike and rear brake on hard. I had to wedge my rear wheel against a block in order to achieve that torque.

👍 I'm sure I would have been a hilarious sight trying to stand on the rear brake while putting 80ftlb on my torque wrench with one arm. I didn't even think of putting a block back here.

I've only seen one motorcycle gearbox split open, and it wasn't me doing the splitting. I was helping a friend for my own educational purposes. That was on a YZ125 and it was almost a year ago.