Sign in to follow this  

New to the Forum..going to buy a '08 YZ 125

Folks,

We are basically new to this forum..we are buying very soon an '08 YZ 125 for my son..he is 5"4 and @ 105 pounds. He will be able to race this bike in the Schoolboy class.

We are going to put on it :

V Force reed

50 tooth sprocket

FmF fatty pipe

heavy duty clutch springs

8700lb chain non o ring.

And of course, change the springs for his weight however, having major probs finding the right springs for it...when we moved up to the yz 85 at 64 pounds, we just ordered the springs that were for his weight..

Can anyone suggest a company that I can go to that has a chart..I have tried factory connection but they don't seem particulary keen on helping..

Is there anything else I should know / do before he rides this bike ?

Thanks

Ian.

Folks,

We are basically new to this forum..we are buying very soon an '08 YZ 125 for my son..he is 5"4 and @ 105 pounds. He will be able to race this bike in the Schoolboy class.

We are going to put on it :

V Force reed

50 tooth sprocket

FmF fatty pipe

heavy duty clutch springs

8700lb chain non o ring.

And of course, change the springs for his weight however, having major probs finding the right springs for it...when we moved up to the yz 85 at 64 pounds, we just ordered the springs that were for his weight..

Can anyone suggest a company that I can go to that has a chart..I have tried factory connection but they don't seem particulary keen on helping..

Is there anything else I should know / do before he rides this bike ?

Thanks

Ian.

VERY GOOD, DADDY!!! HAHA! :busted::blah:

here's a link to inspire you and your son... https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6734043&postcount=1181

cody305's son is also just about your son's height and he rips with his spanking newly-acquired '08 blue 125! :worthy:

just PM cody or search thru his postings, you might be able to find useful tips 👍

...NOW ISN'T THIS BITCHIN', MAN!!

Here is my sons '08 125.

Just getting started!! lol

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

Thanks for the pic..

Just got a response back from factory Connection and they said that they don't have any spring rate details for riders below 115 pounds..they have sent a note to head office for more info.

I await their response.

Ian.

Did you try the racetech spring calculator? It worked for my 90# son on a 250F. We ended up getting Eibech springs.

Great performance gains to be had by leaning the jetting, in my experience. You can increase the power spread, and thus improve traction and acceleration significantly, by working on getting the pilot, needle, and main jetting circuits dialed in. It takes some time, but performance (& lap times,) will improve significantly!

Stock pipe works incredibly well, also.

Thanks all..

News on the springs..

we go 4.0 kg and for the frt .37 kg

Yes...I have a pro with many years experince that is willing to work with me on the carb stuff..

Ian.

Thanks all..

News on the springs..

we go 4.0 kg and for the frt .37 kg

Yes...I have a pro with many years experince that is willing to work with me on the carb stuff..

Ian.

With my son at 90# we got the 4.0 and 0.4. It works well. On the dual chamber forks you should change the upper (free piston?) spring to a 1.3 for his weight too. There is a table for that spring on racetech's site. You can buy the springs from davej at Smart Performance for about $36. Lookup his name in the suspension forum.

bbrown,

did you say that your son was 90 pounds with this set up ? ...do you know what the upper limit is as well ?

Will check the other out.

Thanks

Ian.

out of experence the s stock pipe works extremely well. don't no much about the fmf on the 125 but have been dissapointed with t their pipes in the past. in my opponion the only choice for pipes would be deps completer systems. check out deppipesusa.com. also seems like the rad valve is highly favored over the vforce on this board. I hope I don't sound like a broken record but jetting will make a substantial difference. just a few suggestion, and god luck with everything.

On my '05 YZ125 the stock pipe noticeably outperforms the Fatty on top and gives up nothing anywhere else. I got the bike used and it came with carbon fiber reeds on the stock reed block. I don't know the brand of the reeds, but they performed at least as well as the V-Force 3 that I recently installed. Some folks like the V-Force, but it gave me no perceptible performance increase and I've been unable to clean up a slight richness just off idle. The stock one's going back on next time I open the tool box. I would be more inclined to put the money into unbreakable levers and handguards.

Yes..I went back to stock after installing boyensen on his 85. I have had second thoughts about the pipe as well but the little fella hates that black pipe 👍 amd yup..alreading stocking up on the other..just trying to nail the spring question down..I tried out the rate calculator and it was slightly different from what was recommended..I also read a stram on this form to be a bit wary about the calculator. I am curious ..and I have asked this question to a vendor..to what weight can my son go up to before I have to part them out...he is, quite frankly, growing like a bad weed :worthy:

Thanks all for comments..I really like hearing what experiences yiou have had.

Ian.