Sign in to follow this  

DB Dawg Insert?

I have a 2002 CRF450R and in the intrest of being cost effective, I bought the DB Dawg Insert and Spark Arrestor. Claims 6-10 dB reduction in sound with no power loss and then you have a spark arrestor as well, which I gotta have here in Alberta to ride on public lands.

Has anyone had any experience with this product? I am probably going to have to adjust my jetting or at least some fule adjustments...I am not sure where to start in that department. If you stick a screen and a big chunk of aluminum in your tail pipe, I am gonna guess it's going to affect the way the motor runs to some degree. I stuck it in and kicked it over last night and it wouldn't idle and popped like crazy. Any tips?

The DB Dawg is a good part. It doesn't affect power that much at all. I ran my old 04 on the dyno with, and without, the Dawg and I found it only cost 1hp. I expected more considering how much quieter the Dawg makes the bike. I'd suggest you turn your fuel screw in an 1/8 turn. The additional back pressure makes the bike run slightly rich.

Here's the dyno sheet. My 04 had 200 hours on the original top end during this test.

450dbdawg.jpg

Thanks for the response...

I guess I should get one of those big fuel screws, I really only need to leave the Dawg in when I am on public lands...I like the noise without it...

Not a good idea for a 250f though. A friend said it made his YZ feel like a WR.

I think all too often sound is equated with power.

For example, in the last years 250f shoot out, many less than pro riders said the ktm felt weak, but only because it was quiet....it was in fact a very strong motor.

while 1hp is noticeable....its not too much difference.

Good luck with dialing in your jetting...let us know how you feel it works

I checked the DB dawg website and it said nothing about it having a spark arrester on it. Im I just looking at the wrong place? It looks like a good product but i need a sark arrester as well.

I checked the DB dawg website and it said nothing about it having a spark arrester on it. Im I just looking at the wrong place? It looks like a good product but i need a sark arrester as well.

Hello Lumpy,

They may not have it on their website, but they do sell have spark arrestor version. I seen it in there trailer-store at the track a last week.

Give Ignition Products a call or email them for more details.

Here is a the link to there new catalog http://www.ignitionproducts.com/Ignition/files/Ignition_Racing_Catalog.pdf

Thanks for your help. I sent them an email. Do you know if it is a US forest service approved s/a?

Thanks for your help. I sent them an email. Do you know if it is a US forest service approved s/a?

Sorry, I wouldn't know that. We don't have such a thing up here in Canada that I am aware of but they my be. Check with Ignition.

Pro Moto Billet makes a spark arrestor end cap with an optional silent insert. It works with the stock pipe. They will even pass a sound test without the silent insert. They're made in Idaho too.

I wouldn't even mess with the DB Dawg. It's a funky design in my opinion.

I had one on my 2006 and it didn't kill the power at all.

only problem I had it fell out 2 - times and had to go look for it on the track.

Oh and it dents the pipe, if you can live with that.

Very simple install.

I bought a FMF Q-Pipe for my 2008 CRF and love it.

Weird at first, very quiet. Now everybody else if very loud.

Good Luck