Sign in to follow this  

xr400 - how often to change oil road riding only?

hi all, i've heard that the manual suggests to change the oil every 30 days dirt riding (or was it 30 hours?) but i may have been dreaming. anyway it doesnt matter road riding is easier on the bike, so i'd like to know how often to change it. thanks.

On the manual, it's every month, app 600 mailes. But should be no problem to change the oil each 1500k for on road, I did once, because I could not buy any oil on that tour. And you have to check the oil level before riding, and feed some oil if it's necessary.

in my opinion, road riding is harder on an engine/oil than dirt riding. your are sustaining high speeds for long durations. these single cylinder engines tend to have blow by at high engine speeds. at the very least, check your oil regularly.

the change interval should not be determined by absolute time but by the amount of time the engine is running. a 600 mile change interval seems like a lot of miles. i used to change mine every couple of hundred miles when i was riding a lot of street.

The sustained high speed depends on where you're riding. I ride to work, 4.5 miles each way, in town. Max speed limit I can see is 40 for about 1/4 mile, and 35 otherwise. I think I probably go about 40-45 tops (I really need to get a power wire for my Vapor!), but for only part of the trip. I might idle at a light for a minute or less once or twice on the trip.

This reminds me...I should probably go change my oil.

If you really want to know how hard your average riding is on the oil, change it at your normal interval and send it off to a lab. They will tell you how much the viscosity changed, how much suspended insolubles are present, how much corrosion inhibitor is left, etc. One of the guys in the 600/650L forum recently sent his 650L's Rotella petroleum oil to a lab after 1000mi of slab riding and they told him that it was good for another 500-1000mi on top of that.

Obviously it was a bigger, lower-revving engine and it will vary from bike-to-bike, but The 600s and 650Ls are tough on oil too. An oil analysis is something that will reveal whether or not the oil is getting changed too often or not enough. It can also warn you about parts going south you don't know about. IMO, most people do change their oil too often.