DS Jackets

I know we have been through this many times. But I am getting ready to buy a new Fall/Winter riding jacket and the selection at our local bike shops is either very limited for textile jackets or ridiculously expensive adventure stuff at Bob's BMW. So I could use some real world advice on what works and what doesn't.

The only parameter is that it has to be an armored jacket suitable for both street and trail. I am not looking for an offroad jacket that you wear over or under a chest protector or body armor because I don't wear either. And I might as well admit that I can't afford Aerostich and the like. If I could, I would be at Bob's talking to Beemer guys.

I just need an armored, reasonably waterproof jacket for street and trail riding in cool to warmish weather. I already have hot weather covered with a good mesh jacket. Any suggestions?

Yep, I already have newenough.com in my favorites because of their eBay stuff. They do have some good deals. Nice to know somebody has actually bought from them before I hand over my credit card number.
Have no fear. They are a good company.

I bought a Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket last year and couldn't be happier with it. About $160.00.

+1

I've had one for about 3 years now. I like that the shell is waterproof, not the liner like many jackets.

I also wear mine as a casual (non riding) winter jacket. I just remove the armor.

My personal gear is Alpinestar, TZ-1 leather jacket with optional back protector insert during cooler weather and Alpinestar Sniper textile jacket again with optional back protector insert for warmer weather. I get issued a Olympia textile jacket for work which has a vented shell and a removeable water/windproof thermal liner, the armor is just molded fome in the Olympia but it really is a comfortable jacket for hot or cold weather if you only want to have to buy one jacket.

+1 on the Olympia stuff. I love my Jacket. Lots of features and very cool into the low 90's. Has like 3 liners so use what you need and leave the rest at home. They are all too high $$$$ so if you have the time look around and you will find a pretty good deal.

I am fan of Teknic jackets and ran across one of their Stinger jackets on eBay. I liked the 2/3's length and it isn't covered with pockets, so I Googled it and found a closeout sale for less than the eBay used price.

It looks like a nice waterproof winter jacket with decent CE armor in the elbows, shoulders and back protector. The armor in my last Teknic jacket made the armor in my Firstgear jacket look like shoe insoles.

We shall see. Hard to go wrong for $120 and free shipping. At least they had my color - KTM orange when I ride a grey and black KTM. ? But it should be visible. Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back.

2008_Teknic_Stinger_Jacket_Orange_Black.jpg

Tall's being the only clothes that fit my freaky body, and with most mfg's apparently working under the assumption that if you really need longer sleeves or body to fit, you should just buy a XXXXXL version of whatever garbage they make, I've been using a Firstgear Juant for the last year or so (because Firstgear realizies that there are tall people in this world). Anyway, I've been pretty happy with it, but do wish it had vents in other locations besides just the shoulder area. When wearing a camelback, the shoulder straps pinch off the vents, & that's kind of annoying. However, they do still flow & I'd say it's a good 3 season jacket, with that 1 off season being the dead-hot heat of summer - bad vent positioning to wear it in 100* w/a backpack of any sort. 85-90 down & it's ok as long as your moving.

Im currantly using a Acerbis "Sahara" jacket. Outer cordura shell with standard elbow-shoulder-back protection. Has a zip in waterproof Goretex liner for the wet. Also a zip in quilted liner for the cold. You can mix/match the liners as needed [or not]. So far, it has about 2500 miles of off-road use on it with no seam splits/zipper damage/etc.

I found it on a internet blow-out for $100. Im not sure on the full retail price but it's a nice jacket for a hundred bucks....?

• 1 month later...

Kilimanjaro jackets are nice too. I've had one in the past. I'm moving to Tucson, so shouldn't need a 'winter' jacket for a bit...

I DID buy a BMW Rallye 2 suit used on ADVRider. Half price or less. :nod Wear the jacket darn near every day. GREAT for 3-season use, but when it gets truly chilly, the fabric just flows too much air and you stay cold. ...And that's WITH the gore tex liner in!!

HTH

M