Sign in to follow this  

Valve Adjustment for XR650L (not in FAQ)?

The FAQ has a nice write-up with detailed instructions for a valve adjustment on a XR650R... anyone know of a similar article for a 650L? I know the process is almost identical, but it's the clearance specs I am after... I am pretty sure it's .004 for intake and .005 for exhaust.

0.004 inches, 0.005 inches, turn the crank only forwards, make sure intake and exhaust valves are both free to make sure you're on the top of the compression stroke.

Dave

+1

I think it would be somewhat redundant because the downloadable service manual does a good job of providing the specs as well as explaining and illustrating the procedure.

+1

I think it would be somewhat redundant because the downloadable service manual does a good job of providing the specs as well as explaining and illustrating the procedure.

THANKS MUCH GENTS!

+1

Yeah, agreed.

I would like to find similar manuals for the 600R and 650R, if any one has them.

I have one that I think is for the '88-90(91?) 600s, but each chapter is a separate .pdf document and it doesn't seem to have a front or rear cover and it may not even have an index. I need to get some .pdf editing software so I can compile it all into one chunk and post it up.

BTW, the FAQ already has a link to the 650R FSM. 👍

I have one that I think is for the '88-90(91?) 600s, but each chapter is a separate .pdf document and it doesn't seem to have a front or rear cover and it may not even have an index. I need to get some .pdf editing software so I can compile it all into one chunk and post it up.

BTW, the FAQ already has a link to the 650R FSM. :busted:

:worthy:👍

My apologies for dredging up this old thread, but I'm doing my valves (for the first time) this spring and was looking for the XR650L Shop Manual pdf in the FAQ section and the link to it there seems to not be working?

Has it been removed, or has the location on the server changed and the link hasn't been updated?

Thanks! 🙂

My apologies for dredging up this old thread, but I'm doing my valves (for the first time) this spring and was looking for the XR650L Shop Manual pdf in the FAQ section and the link to it there seems to not be working?

Has it been removed, or has the location on the server changed and the link hasn't been updated?

Thanks! :banghead:

i noticed that...glad i downloaded it 🙂

...seems now that someone is "Pickle Puff'n" we're free to run wild! :banghead:

:foul:

i noticed that...glad i downloaded it 🙂

...seems now that someone is "Pickle Puff'n" we're free to run wild! :banghead:

:foul:

Yeah! Whats up with that? I think he spends more time with the pickle crowd now! We need a new moderator! How about DENN10 or NMNORGE! :banghead:

0.004 inches, 0.005 inches, turn the crank only forwards, make sure intake and exhaust valves are both free to make sure you're on the top of the compression stroke.

Dave

I thought Martin or someone on here said to turn it counter clockwise. Also that there was a way to make sure that the front right side valve was easier to adjust as it proved to be the only difficult one for others in the past?

I thought Martin or someone on here said to turn it counter clockwise. Also that there was a way to make sure that the front right side valve was easier to adjust as it proved to be the only difficult one for others in the past?

CCW=Forward=Normal Engine Rotation 🙂

reason being if engine is turned the opposite direction the decomp/anti-kickback is engauged opening one of the exhaust valves...this wud make that valve to appear to be very tight :banghead:

:banghead:

CCW=Forward=Normal Engine Rotation 🙂

reason being if engine is turned the opposite direction the decomp/anti-kickback is engauged opening one of the exhaust valves...this wud make that valve to appear to be very tight :banghead:

:banghead:

ahhhh, as usual, my brain interperpted the info bassackwards.:foul: