Sign in to follow this  

1992 DR350 Blowing smoke

Was the "out of the blue" pun intended? 👍

When is it worse, on the power or on the overrun? Hot or cold etc?

At a guess, if it's just suddenly started from absolutely nothing at all I'd say head gasket (hopefully just this) or rings/bore worn (or maybe just a stuck ring...)

Pun wasn't intended, but funny!

Just out of the blue. No power difference, happens all the time.

Is there an oil galley passage through the head that the gasket may have failed and now pumping oil into the cylinder on this engine?

If it's the same as my early 400 (can't see it being much different) then oil to the head goes up round a rear stud & drains back down one of the front ones so a failed head gasket would allow this.

Does he run an air filter by the way? If it's unfiltered then another possibility is a piece of grit has scratched the bore.

To be honest I think the way forward here is to pull the head off & have a look at the bore, if it looks fine then fit a new gasket & see if that cures it. If not then maybe look to the rings.

My 400 actually smokes quite badly at the moment too (not as bad as it was!) so I'm gonna do the head gasket soon & see if that helps things out any as I re-used the original when I built it up to see if it ran.

Hope you get it sorted, could you let me know if it was the HG when you get that far? Cheers, Dan.

Oh, meant to ask - how does he set the oil level, on the centre stand or sidestand?

With the bike level.

If I forget, PM me sometime and i'll let you know what he finds. I think HG as well.

With the dry sump motor, you have to check the oil when the motor is warm and no longer than a minute or two after it's been run. This is to be sure there's oil up in the frame (tank) to be checked. If the oil is checked cold, there either won't be a read or it'll read low. Overfilling is common on the DR if you don't know how to check it. This (overfilling) can cause the problem your friend has.

Oh, there is a difference then. My early (79-82) bike is not OIF & has a window under the kick start.

For OIF bikes-: as above