Sign in to follow this  

GMC Serria Guage problem

My dad was coming home yesterday, and he noticed his oil pressure guage was out of whack(the truck was running normaly)

It looks like this when the engine is off, and when the engine is running, it moves down over the picture of the oil can

OilGuageproblem.jpg

The GMC/Chevy gauge clusters had some issues over certain years, mine which is an 03 was involved in a recall due to the tach motor crapping out and some of the gauges not working over time. If the truck is between 03-06 check out the TSB's for it and see if the dealer will cover it.

i can tell by the speedo that it is an 03 or newer...02 speedo only goes to 100 lol. but as far as the guage cluster goes...+1 on what mike said. my g/f has an 04 silverado and the speedo and rpm guages stopped working...0mph and 0rpm all the time...hers was not covered under a recall but they covered it through the regular warranty. also, they are VERY easy to replace...i think 2 electrical plugs in the back? and its held in by a couple clips...you can find them cheaper on ebay than going through the dealer if the dealer wont cover it through your warranty if your truck still has one. if you want to look on ebay just search for chevy guage clusters. good luck!

I belive my dad got this letter, but he didn't take it to the dealership.(At the time all the guages worked perfectly)

Would the dealer still replace it for free? I think the truck still has under 60K on it(but no warranty left)

BTW the trucks a 2004

there was a special policy on those so there is a good chance it would be a freeby. talk to you dealer, they should be able to take care of it.

I just recieved a letter about a class action suit regarding the GM cluster problems. I havent had a problem with my 05 yet.

there was a special policy on those so there is a good chance it would be a freeby. talk to you dealer, they should be able to take care of it.
I just recieved a letter about a class action suit regarding the GM cluster problems. I havent had a problem with my 05 yet.

Wonder why I never received anything regarding the gauges in my 99 Silverado?

At any rate, anyone with minimal electronics ability can buy the upgraded stepper motors on Ebay for around $6-8 and replace them in a couple or three hours...and that includes the necessary time required for the couple or three beers during the process.

Wonder why I never received anything regarding the gauges in my 99 Silverado?

At any rate, anyone with minimal electronics ability can buy the upgraded stepper motors on Ebay for around $6-8 and replace them in a couple or three hours...and that includes the necessary time required for the couple or three beers during the process.

i think the policy started on 02 models and then was extended up from there.

I have an 01 and have had no problems or any letters either. We have done a ton of 02's and 04's for some reason.

mine's an 02 and we have never had an issue or a letter regarding the cluster...maybe it was only ones made after a certain date?

i think the policy started on 02 models and then was extended up from there.

I have an 01 and have had no problems or any letters either. We have done a ton of 02's and 04's for some reason.

mine's an 02 and we have never had an issue or a letter regarding the cluster...maybe it was only ones made after a certain date?

My Silverado is a '99 and the fuel gauge and the gear selector indicator and odometer intermittently goes out. The odo continues to record the mileage, but the display shuts off and will only come on at random times. 👍

sonobob...that sure sounds like a cluster problem. some of the earlier one's. like yours and mine, the neutral safety/PRNDL switch would go out and you would have no gear indicator at times. The bad thing about that is if the truck does not show park or neutral they won't start either and the electronic tranny can give some issues with that too. also some of those trucks had bad fuel level sensors.

just talking to one of our advisors.... the policy as of right now is certain vins from 2003 and 2004 models and only up to 70,000 miles.

• Like 1

sonobob...that sure sounds like a cluster problem. some of the earlier one's. like yours and mine, the neutral safety/PRNDL switch would go out and you would have no gear indicator at times. The bad thing about that is if the truck does not show park or neutral they won't start either and the electronic tranny can give some issues with that too. also some of those trucks had bad fuel level sensors.

I've never had a problem with my neutral safety switch or transmission, even though my PRNDL and odo display is affected. My fuel gauge constantly goes back and forth between operating and dead-which isn't a big deal, I just need to swap the stepper motor to fix that (presuming that the problem is in the cluster instead of the tank)...what I'm having problems with is finding the replacement LED driver for the gear and odometer display. My gauge cluster is identical to the newer (through '06) models, only with the max speed indicated at 100, rather than 120...the same as Hondapwns pic, but with the fuel gauge above the oil pressure and the trip meter reset located down by the odo display.

• Like 1

My 2004 Tahoe cluster crapped out. I had it replaced under the recall that has been mentioned her.