Sign in to follow this  

what should i get?

how tall are you, whats your weight and what r u planning on riding (trails, motoross etc.)

get an rm85, I wish I had gotten one of those when i was on 85's but I got a honda and kawasaki. The cr85 was a piece of trash with no bottom end at all and it kept breaking. The kx85 held up good but the hit was too smooth for my taste and very mellow. My brother learned from my mistake and got an rm85. It's the best mini ever. The crf150r is probably a good bike but valve maitnence on hondas is a drag.

Guy (above) valve maintenance on Honda's ... you are still living back in 2004!! The problem with valves is so far behind its not funny ... long before the 150R was even launched!:worthy: I have over 150Hours on my wife's 150R with not even ONE adjustment.

Having said that 4-stroke maintenance (regardless of brand) will be much higher than the 2 stroke 85. You need to be very concious of air filter maintenance (very important) and cleaning and regular oil changes. The area I live means cleaning and oiling the air filter almost EVERY RIDE (lots of dust).

If you are not prepared to do higher routine levels of maintenance on your bike, then go with the 2 smoke 85.

For most that is the determining factor.

If your willing to do the much higher level of routine daily ride maintenance, and can handle the added weight of the 150R, then it might not be a bad option for you.

Don't discount the KTM105 XC and SX versions either. 👍

Hey guy ... I see in your garage you already have a KX85??:worthy:

So what is the question??

If your wondering what bike to buy "next" would be, then find somebody that owns a CRF150R and ask to try it out. I am sure you have a very good idea what an 85 feels like. 👍

It won't be a radical departure from what you already own. Personally I would be starting to target a 125 in the future (as you grow of course).

Guy (above) valve maintenance on Honda's ... you are still living back in 2004!! The problem with valves is so far behind its not funny ... long before the 150R was even launched!👍 I have over 150Hours on my wife's 150R with not even ONE adjustment.

sorry, I didn't know. I never owned one but I have friends that have. My bad.

You know what ... they are all bad on valves if you don't maintain them (air filter most critical) 👍 , so in effect your not wrong :worthy:

The "design" valve problems you mention were from the pre-2005 models .. since then Honda changed the seat material.:busted:

the 150 is a great bike...my cousin has one...they just have a little too much hype around them. The kx 85 is easiest to ride. the rm is a great bike but not a great hit on top end. the yz has great top end and so does the cr. if your going to get an 85 and your a good rider get the cr...its a tad better than the yz. but as for your original question the 150 is better