Sign in to follow this  

How should a two stroke sound at steady throttle?

My 200exc does not sound smooth when held at a steady throttle (say 1/2 throttle). It is fine as its accelerating and held steady, but starts to sputter when the speed increase levels off. Sputter may not be the correct word but it does not purr a steady purr.

Maybe every bike does this, I don't know.

It's normal. 2 strokes like to be under load.

When off the pipe, most 2 strokes sound like that, sputtery. But smooth and nice when its in the powerband. Ring ding ding ding 👍

Yup they go ba baaa bup ba da baaaa baaa bup bup baaaa BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on my bike the roughest throttle range is right before it comes on the pipe all sputtery and what not and thats around half throttle. It doesent bog i guess sputter is the wrong term because it revs out really clean not really sure how I should explain it.

on my bike the roughest throttle range is right before it comes on the pipe all sputtery and what not and thats around half throttle. It doesent bog i guess sputter is the wrong term because it revs out really clean not really sure how I should explain it.

Same with mine. I think its normal

like a bumble bee braaaaapppppp pppppppp

makes alot of noise and smokes alot

(sounds like my x wife)

Its basically normal. They refer to it as "4 cycling" where its actually missing, firing every other stroke etc, hence, the name "4 cycling" 👍

Don't think I have heard of 4cycling and 2strokes in the same sentence before.

If you're getting any sputter or hesitation anywhere in the rev range - you're rich somewhere in your jetting. From idle to wide open mine is crisp with a great scream to it. If you're on a 200cc or higher in good tune you should be feeling power throughout the whole range rather than only having power when just being on the pipe.👍

I have solid power through the entire range. It's the steady throttle that causes the sputter. It's not a jetting issue.

I have solid power through the entire range. It's the steady throttle that causes the sputter. It's not a jetting issue.

Adjust your air screw then. Turn it in to make it leaner once the bike is thoroughly warmed up. You can tune this by opening the throttle to the point of stutter and turning in the air screw. Ooops, that'd be jetting.👍

It's not unusual to have a bit of crackling at steady throttle, especially at part throttle. Though a sputter is not ideal. Sometimes the quality of the carburetor can affect it a great deal, by having leaking passages and whatnot it can make it more susceptible to rough running.

A small bore like a 200 should be pretty consistent. My 300 was a pain to get it to very good drivability.

• Like 1

My KX does that when we hit dirt/fire roads.I tried to find the problem till a friend pointed out it was my hand shaking the throttle going over the washboard roads:excuseme: try half throttle down a smooth paved road see if it quits:excuseme:

For my holeshots, I get the RPM's just past that point. Once it starts to even out is the perfect RPM.

For my holeshots, I get the RPM's just past that point. Once it starts to even out is the perfect RPM.

oh well at least some people understand me haha if i just keep the throttle in the same spot it will happen but if i bang through the gears WFO theres no bog at all just screams.

oh well at least some people understand me haha if i just keep the throttle in the same spot it will happen but if i bang through the gears WFO theres no bog at all just screams.

Exactly what I am saying with this post. I can bang through my gears from 1st to 6th all the way into the top of the powerband without sputter. I can do this under full load or 1% load and not have a problem. It's when I am coasting on a relatively flat road and hold the throttle steady does it start to 'miss'.

I should also clarify (again) what I mean by "sputter". It's not like it's about to cut out, it's just not a clean sound like when the bike is under load and accelerating.

I guess I need a video of me going down the road with a steady half-throttle to get my point across to some people.