Sign in to follow this  

need help time for tires

okay, i'm going on a trip this weekend starts friday (it was not planned, but i'm going).👍 So i only have today to get some tires done.

So this is the type of riding that i will be doing on the DRZ; commuting, play, and a bit of dirt.

I was thinking about the avon distanzias or some other type of sport touring tire?

any help would be great.

also what size should i get?

bike: DRZ400SM

thanks again.

Dam, you might want to wait for new tires because you will need to wear the mold release off a new tire. twisties with a new tire = accident. 👍

I guess these would be nice: Michelin Anakee Dual Sport Tire

Dam, you might want to wait for new tires because you will need to wear the mold release off a new tire. twisties with a new tire = accident. :worthy:

A good wipe w/ a doused rag w/ laquer thinner will fix that real quick.

If you're not doing hardcore twisties, a new tire will be fine.👍

Dam, you might want to wait for new tires because you will need to wear the mold release off a new tire. twisties with a new tire = accident. 👍

I just hit up the nearest gravel road .. it is like taking a sandblaster to the tires .

I recently got a TCK 80 up front and a 6006 out back on my S and rode home from the dealership in a rainstorm without a hitch. Just take it easy for the first 50 miles, per the dealer.

Back to which tires, I know the S and SM are pretty different, but I've seen SM's with the 6006 tire on front & rear. It seems like a really good tire; it feels like I can lean farther over in the turns with it vs. the deathwings. It does well off road too. Longevity is the only perceivable downside. I'm guessing I'll need a new one around the 600-800 mile mark, but my riding habits are somewhat spirited. Also, the 6006's are a little too knobby for a really good burnout:)

I just hit up the nearest gravel road .. it is like taking a sandblaster to the tires .

+1 gravel kicks the shite out of them.

Mostly what I do is on road probably 80%-85%. I still need something that I felt would give me a little more traction that the stock dunlops off road yet still be sticky enough to keep me happy on road. Well I have been very pleased with the Distanzia's. There are numerous other threads with others opinions of these tires. I would recommend them based on what you decribed you ride and think they are a good value from price perspective. 👍

Tire size I bought is

120/70HR-17 Front SM compound

150/60HR-17 Rear SM compound

AndiDRZ400SM what size Pilot Powers are you running? I had them on my R6 and loved them, now I have an 08' SM and I'm looking to put Pilot Powers on it, but not sure of what size.