Sign in to follow this  

ethanol???

I was wondering if anyone runs ethanol gasoline in their bike? I have ran it in both of my bikes (yz250f and crf250). It seems to run alright on ethanol, but both of the crank/main bearings have gone out of my bikes. Would ethanol cause this?

I was wondering if anyone runs ethanol gasoline in their bike? I have ran it in both of my bikes (yz250f and crf250). It seems to run alright on ethanol, but both of the crank/main bearings have gone out of my bikes. Would ethanol cause this?

No, it will not cause that failure.

But ethanol gas will pick up moisture out of the air especially in high humidity conditions and over time can cause carb problems. Ethanol 10% gasoline is all that is available in my area so I buy it in small quantities and use it up quick. But I have not had any problems with ethanol in my bikes and one of them I am running a 13.5 piston.

I too have the E10 in our area and have not had any issues. You can buy gas at a marine station; they apparently can sell gas without ethanal, but they are usually more expensive too.

I know I see about a 10-15% difference in my gas mileage in my car with the crap.

I too have the E10 in our area and have not had any issues. You can buy gas at a marine station; they apparently can sell gas without ethanal, but they are usually more expensive too.

I know I see about a 10-15% difference in my gas mileage in my car with the crap.

10-15% more or less?

10-15% more or less?

Less.

Ethanol has an octane rating of 115, but lower BTU content, and stoich is around 9:1, compared to 14.7:1 for gasoline.

i run E10 in myn, its cheeper than buying 91 octane. 👍 and i have no problem using the gas quickly :worthy:

about how much is it a gallon? we dont have any ethanol around here

No Ethanol in Kentucky?

You've got plenty of Ethanol... the GOOD kind 👍

Trust me, you really DON'T want to put that crap in your vehicles if you can avoid it.

i think at 1 station i saw a sign that said that they have 10% ethanol in the gas but there is no E85 or any station that says ethanol beside that one.

It is my understanding that the EPA has banned MTBE as an anti Knock additive and Ethanol is the replacement.

MTBE was banned because it was being found in well water.

i run E10 in myn, its cheeper than buying 91 octane. 👍 and i have no problem using the gas quickly :worthy:

What? E10 is just 10% Ethanol, it is in all grades of the fuel you buy if they sell it. In Oregon, they passed a law that all stations have to sell it, and they can't sell gas without it. They say it is to save the environment, but they got it all wrong since we have to use 10% more fuel with it it doesn't save anything, in fact probably causes more pollution.

i think at 1 station i saw a sign that said that they have 10% ethanol in the gas but there is no E85 or any station that says ethanol beside that one.

E85 is typically cheaper, but not all cars are built for it. The cars that say "Flex Fuel" on them are meant to be able to run on the stuff. You will get around 30% less MPG, but here in Oregon it is aout $.80 to $1.00 cheaper per gallon.