Sign in to follow this  

turbo project: redux

I've been dropping hints about it for a while, and yesterday I finally started the new turbo system for the DRZ.

I spent almost all day yesterday playing with placement of the new turbo. One of the things I really really wanted to try for was make it possible to run a 21" front wheel with this turbo system so if I so desire, I could run dirt bike tires if I ever feel like it

The new turbo is a decent amount smaller than the old one and I thought I was going to be able to run it higher up, near the triple tree's without clearance issues, but once I got it torn down and started playing with positions, it just wasn't going to happen.

So then I started playing with offsetting it to the side in either direction to make room for the tire. I can feasibly pull it off on either side, but both sides it will stick out just a small amount more than the radiator, and it complicates the piping. It will look a little messy, because all the piping will be concentrated on whichever side I run it

I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too......but compromises. Always compromises!

I've settled on offsetting it to the left side and will start welding it up tonight. I'll take some pics before the day is over. Stay tuned

Just a thought, STS turbo's are remotely located where the muffler would be www.ststurbo.com . I don't know how well it that would work for a DRZ, but you'd have the best sounding muffler around!

I await the finished product. You pulling off the previous turbo setup? Would you sell your old setup to anyone? hint hint hint...

Just a thought, STS turbo's are remotely located where the muffler would be www.ststurbo.com . I don't know how well it that would work for a DRZ, but you'd have the best sounding muffler around!

I think the intake piping would be too long to do this, it isnt a big turbo and getting the CFM out of it to fill those pipes would create significant lag.

Any plans for a small intercooler or anything?

I think the intake piping would be too long to do this, it isnt a big turbo and getting the CFM out of it to fill those pipes would create significant lag.

Any plans for a small intercooler or anything?

it has been proven that the lag created even by the systems STS uses is so small it is not even noticible.

This user would only be using 2-3 feet of pipe, instead of the 15-19 feet that STS uses. he would be fine.

I'd imagine replacing the muffler with the turbo would actually make more room for an intercooler. The obvious problems I can see is that it would place a moving part high in the bike. Turbos get kinda hot too, so extra heat sheilding would be needed. There would be better clearance for a 21" wheel and the turbo could have better protection. Who's knows if it could really be done though. Anyway, I feel like my ideas are taking away from Uncle Bob's op. Can't wait for further details and LOTS of pictures!

Yeah, like 1000*+ hot!

EGT's on my WRX 2" from the cylinder outlet are in the 800 degree range at idle, 1500 at WOT, 12-1300 cruising(at 2500-3000rpm's)

I know even on the WRX's using a front mount intercooler can cause significant turbo lag.

The turbo on the DRZ is a lot smaller, and running the turbo where the muffler would be, would create similar turbo lag(length of pipes are roughly the same).

Your argument that the STS turbo's do not create much turbo lag, is true, but we're not talking about the same kind of turbo, or car.

We're talking a 400cc single cylinder engine, not a 350ci V8.

the turbine characteristics have as much to do with the lag as the expansion space for and aft of the compression chamber.

Your going to spend how much time and money to do this?

How much hp are you going to gain?

Sounds like a poor choice, in the bang for your buck! but thats my 2 cents.

Hey, it sure beats wasting your time pulling stickers off yer fender 👍

Some people just like "wasting" their time differently...

My $0.02

Gabe

compared to what? a top-of-the-line 470cc setup? Not even close

aiming for 70hp on pump gas....mostly stock internals

bang for the buck? I don't think anything compares when bang = hp

I await the finished product. You pulling off the previous turbo setup? Would you sell your old setup to anyone? hint hint hint...

Yes, the old system will be left complete, and yes, I'll be selling it eventually

My offer still stands for eddie if he wants it, but he hasn't contacted me, so I assume it'll be up for grabs when I officially offer it up (I want to wait til this new system is fully up and running)

EGT's on my WRX 2" from the cylinder outlet are in the 800 degree range at idle, 1500 at WOT, 12-1300 cruising(at 2500-3000rpm's)

EGTs on my truck hit about 1300* at WOT or when towing heavy. Cruising they drop to 800* or so. I can hit 42 p.s.i. boost, also. 👍