Homemade spark arrestor

Any tips on making a homemade spark aresstor? I have a 05 450f with a White Bros. E series can (oval). I can not find any info on the Bros. website to buy a spark arrestor that will fit. The site only lists the newer E2 series. Any instructions to make one?

Any tips on making a homemade spark aresstor? I have a 05 450f with a White Bros. E series can (oval). I can not find any info on the Bros. website to buy a spark arrestor that will fit. The site only lists the newer E2 series. Any instructions to make one?

in theroy you need a USFS approved stamp on the muffler itself along with a screen.

most cases here in Cali, they just do the stick test. and don't care about the USFS approved part.

if your exhaust has a removable end cap, just take that off and find some old screen lying around and make a cone out of it with flared ends that are roughly the diameter of the exhaust pipe.

reinstall the tip of the exhaust so it holds the screen in place.

that's all it is really.

pmb-screen.jpg

in theroy you need a USFS approved stamp on the muffler itself along with a screen.

most cases here in Cali, they just do the stick test. and don't care about the USFS approved part.

While you're mostly right about that, it sort of depends on who you run into, and how much sand he has in his ? , if you know what I mean.

While you're mostly right about that, it sort of depends on who you run into, and how much sand he has in his ? , if you know what I mean.

I think it would have to be someone with so much "sand" as you say, that even if they didn't get you for the spark arrestor they would find something else to get you for. I've been to many different parks here in california and have never been bothered about my "home made" spark arrestor. As the OP mentioned, they just do the "stick" test at the park entrance and I'm on my way to ride.

One would hope you would be right, most of the time, but I'll never forget the BLM ranger who I saw write a guy up for not wearing a helmet while he rolled his quad down the ramp from his truck and then pushed it 10 feet to where he parked it. Made him load it up and leave, too. ?:worthy:

yeah, that would suck. Was the guy seated on the quad as he unloaded it? Just last month I saw a guy fall off his truck along with his quad as he was loading it onto his truck. So I can see where the ranger was coming from if the guy was seated on the quad while unloading. Still, I agree it's pretty messed up the ranger would go to those lengths for a minor violation like that:thumbsdn: :busted: . A simple warning should have been sufficient:prof: . That's the kind of ranger I was referring to when I mentioned "too much sand" up there. I'm sure if it weren't for the helmet he would have found out some other little thing to write the guy up for. Pretty much there was no escaping from Mr. Big Shot Ranger.

Was the guy seated on the quad as he unloaded it? Just last month I saw a guy fall off his truck along with his quad as he was loading it onto his truck. So I can see where the ranger was coming from if the guy was seated on the quad while unloading. .
Yes he was. Then again, I saw a guy fall out of his truck getting out of the cab at a gas station the other day, and there wasn't a quad anywhere near him, but what can you do about it?

When money is tight, $15 is a hell of a lot better than $150.

+1 ? Guy falling off his quad unloading it ussually equals DRUNK! :worthy:

My buddy was kicked out of Crab flats for no sparky! :busted:

I have seen what people do first hand on a 2 smoker with no sparky! :blah:

It wasn't pretty! :D

Just drips fire! :doh:

And I do mean DRIPS! ?