Sign in to follow this  

Who's riding the Shenandoah 500 this year?

No bike yet - but sent my check anyway.

A word of warning - since I will be there it will rain all day Saturday. So far I am 3 for 3 on Saturday rain. Bring your rain gear.

hello my name is dave i ride a 1987 xl600r just took a job with a contractor in dulles and would like to find places to ride any help would be great thank you

Dave, take a look at that nvtr.org website. Even if you don't make the cut for the Shenandoah 500 this year, they are a good club and a good place to start. If it not for being up to my eyes in other commitments, I would have already joined. But I am already straining the bonds of matrimony with professional commitments.

Working on the Dulles Metrorail project by any chance?

I'm out. I planned for it this year and took the days off when I scheduled my vactation. Right now the bike is in pieces with trans issues and by the time I get it back together I will have spent the money I had set aside to go. It is a 6 hour drive up and 6 back. Thats alot of cash with gas prices the way they are. I might have it running by then though but did not send in the reg. forms. By the time I get it fixed the dead line will have passed.

RH

I wanted to go this year just to meet some of the guys on this board and the ones going from the advrider.com board but I have to work the weekend of the event. I live here and can ride most of the roads which make up the 500 year around, so I was going really just to hang out. Maybe next year...

Anyone had the GPS co-ordinates for the meeting point? How about a track for ride itself (I ask for a lot, I know).

NVTR is pretty hush-hush about the route. Since they limit the event to 200 riders they try to discourage riders that haven't signed up from riding the route. They don't give out roll charts until the day of the ride and then only to people that are signed up and at the riders meeting.

So there is no GPS route. You sign up for the ride, show up at the riders meeting, pass tech inspection and you get your roll chart. They also give you a very rudimentary road map with bail out roads. Having gotten way lost with that map, I now carry a USFS map of the area with me.

Well, I will have my GPS with me, so I know I will be able to find my way out. LOL, I am concerned with just finding the starting area!

I fully understand the reason for not having a GPS track available.

Starts at the Natural Chimneys Camp Ground.

94 Natural Chimneys Lane

Mt. Solon, Va. 22843

There are several real time navigation devices around the park known as "signs" that will direct you right to the correct coordinates. 👍

Thanks for the addy. Hopefully, the GPS knows the point!

It should, I used it last year.