Sign in to follow this  

K&N YA-3586 question

Just installed this air filter. It seemed like it had alittle more play or room to wobble around than the stock screen/foam filter. I checked to make sure the it was in place properly and locked down. Anyone else have this going on with theirs?

thanks

just put some grease on the flat part that mates up on the engine side of the air box it will be fine,,,,,,

just put some grease on the flat part that mates up on the engine side of the air box it will be fine,,,,,,

Yeah that's what I did, fugured it would be fine since people here run it. Just a little nervous with the little extra room.

Thanks

Mine is snug to the flange, but not as tight as the stock filter. I don't think I'll have any air leaks, and it seems secure enough that it won't fall off.

Just installed this air filter. It seemed like it had alittle more play or room to wobble around than the stock screen/foam filter. I checked to make sure the it was in place properly and locked down. Anyone else have this going on with theirs?

thanks

Mine fits snug. I would put some grease on the bottom of the filter to help ensure there is a seal. If you are really worried about how loose it is, send it back and ask for a replacement because these filters should fit perfectly.

Mine fits snug. I would put some grease on the bottom of the filter to help ensure there is a seal. If you are really worried about how loose it is, send it back and ask for a replacement because these filters should fit perfectly.

I did put grease on the seal 👍 Maybe I'll contact K&N and see what they have to say.

Mine is snug to the flange, but not as tight as the stock filter. I don't think I'll have any air leaks, and it seems secure enough that it won't fall off.

I wouldn't call mine "snug". I don't think it will fall off, but it just doesn't seem to fit tight enough.

Thanks guys.

thanks

I put some 3/8" foam weatherstripping all the way around the rubber flange on the K&N. It seats much better to the airbox, & is much cleaner than trying to grease the surface.

I put some 3/8" foam weatherstripping all the way around the rubber flange on the K&N. It seats much better to the airbox, & is much cleaner than trying to grease the surface.

Thanks for the tip. Did you use self-adhesive or something else to glue it on to the air filter?

Have you checked it since install to see if it is still stuck on there well?

Thanks for the tip. Did you use self-adhesive or something else to glue it on to the air filter?

Have you checked it since install to see if it is still stuck on there well?

I used the self adhesive weatherstripping. I haven't pulled the filter out since then (that was last week), but it fits so tightly, I'm sure it has not come off. It was hard to lock down the wire latch that holds the filter in place, but once I did, it made for a very tight seal between the filter & the airbox. In stock trim, you could move the filter around with the wire latched, so it was not a good seal. I have since removed the top of the air box, so that will make it easier to lach the wire buckle. I'm going to the track tomorrow, so I will clean the filter afterwards & let you know how the weatherstripping is holding up.

I used the self adhesive weatherstripping. I haven't pulled the filter out since then (that was last week), but it fits so tightly, I'm sure it has not come off. It was hard to lock down the wire latch that holds the filter in place, but once I did, it made for a very tight seal between the filter & the airbox. In stock trim, you could move the filter around with the wire latched, so it was not a good seal. I have since removed the top of the air box, so that will make it easier to lach the wire buckle. I'm going to the track tomorrow, so I will clean the filter afterwards & let you know how the weatherstripping is holding up.

Awesome, I may have to try your method after you report how it is holding up.

Here's the update on the weatherstripping. I just pulled the filter to clean it & the stripping is holding up great! You can see the lines where the stripping has moulded itself to the airbox. The hard rubber on the K&N will not do that. Here's some pictures.

IMG_6422.jpg

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6433.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

Here's my airbox with the top removed. Just grind the plastic rivets off & the whole top comes off in one piece. You have to drill 2 small holes & remount the rectangular thing (not sure what it is, but it has "Up" on it, so it may be some kind of crash sensor to kill the bike when it's dropped). I get much more airflow now. It sounds like a 4 barrell carb when you open it up!

IMG_6425.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the update on the weatherstripping. the rectangular thing (not sure what it is, but it has "Top" on it, so it may be some kind of crash sensor to kill the bike when it's dropped). I get much more airflow now.

Rusty, You are right,that is the lean angle sensor. There is some stuff called Aqua Seal that is used for wet suit repair. Your foam will stick forever with that. I have used it on a push bulb for a lawn mower and 5 years later it was still pliable and the gas never bothered it. Good stuff!

Thanks Blueshopsuper! The weatherstripping I used was self adhesive, & so far has not come loose even after soaking it in hot soapy water for 30 minutes & washing it, but I will check out the Aqua Seal if it does! What part of Alaska are you in? My family has a house in Seward. That's where I saw my 1st WR 250 R a couple of months ago!

Rusty, You are right,that is the lean angle sensor.

Maybe the lean angle sensor will detect a different lean angle 👍 if you mount it front-to-back instead of side-to-side?

/dh

Maybe the lean angle sensor will detect a different lean angle 👍 if you mount it front-to-back instead of side-to-side?

/dh

Maybe mounted that way the lean sensor will function as an anti-loop-out wheelie safety device? That would be sorta cool.

I never thought about that! Good point DH!! I don't think it works as a loop out sensor now because I have had the front end pretty high, past the balance point & had to tap the brake to get it down, & it didn't die.

I don't think it works as a loop out sensor now because I have had the front end pretty high, past the balance point & had to tap the brake to get it down, & it didn't die.

It probably acts pretty slowly, since Yamaha wouldn't want it cutting out just because of some sideways g forces. So it probably only helps "after the fact" to cut the engine.

But if you want to find out, just unscrew it and hold it level in your hand, then start the bike in neutral. tilt it slowly this way and that, and you'll soon have the scoop - which you can share!👍

/dh

It probably acts pretty slowly, since Yamaha wouldn't want it cutting out just because of some sideways g forces./dh

I tipped mine over once and it died right away. Kind of when it passed the point of no return. It was on the down hill side and my leg wouldn't reach. I think it died before it hit the ground.

Rusty, since its new foam, I'm sure its fine for a good while. But eventually the foam will start to harden and crumble. The inside edge crumbs will go into the intake. I think they'll just burn up in the chamber, unlike dirt grit or something, so no harm probably. Still, you might keep an eye out.

An enterprising individual who wanted to use the K&N might make a thick silicone gasket out of that GE 100% silicone caulk or something like that. The whole airbox and tube to the throttle body would have to come out, though. Some of the automotive guys here may know ways to make a good thick gasket without pulling everything out.

I'm not trying to start anything with this post. I know you guys are very happy with your K&Ns. But for anyone reading this that hasn't purchased a free flowing after market filter I just wanted to say there are other alternatives. K&N seems to be the only one discussed on this message board.

I'm not convinced the K&N doesn't flow too much air ie. lets in too much crud, but that's just my humble opinion. So I went with the Twin Air. It's fits perfectly and it freed up the top end on my bike. I have know idea if it freed up any HP.

No flames please 👍