Sign in to follow this  

83' honda xl 600r, No Spark....

Hello eveyone, I would realy appreciate some advice.

I recently aquired 83 xl 600r from my brother. Now my brother parked it 4 years ago, due to he was driving down the free way when it popped and sputtered a couple of times and then it quit, he didnt try anything other than new gas to try to restart it, when it didnt he parked it.. I pulled the bike out of storage and began to trouble shoot it. The bike has great compression and kicks over just fine,, but It will not produce any spark at all, I have thoroughly cleaned and inspected every electrical terminal on the bike, and have checked most of the wires for continuity (it all looks good). I checked the coil for goog ohms ( has good ohms) coil also physicaly looks good-no cracks- so I dont think thats the issue.. As far as I can tell and the manual also tells me to check or replace the CDI box, Now I dont have much experience with these parts so I went and ordered a new one....and am currently waiting for it... does anyone have any experience with this problem on this bike at all???

The stator is a pretty common failure item. The one on my 86 was bad. No spark.. I replaced it with one from Rickystator.com and it's been running good since..

Kind of in order of likelihood.

Stator

CDI

spark coil

pulse coil

wiring harness including kill button

wire to plug including plug cap resistor

plug

Did you check the ohms on all three coils? That would be ignition winding of the stator, the pulse coil, and the spark coil.

While stators do go completely bad they usually have a period of intermitant operation, but not always.

Do all the wiring checks and ohm checks before spending cash on a stator or coils.

...and usually, there are proper ohm readings expected for each of the 3 coils mentioned. But, for a 'catastrophic' failure like that, if it was one of 'em, I'd expect to see either an open (broken wire) or a short to ground. In other words, the smoking gun should be pretty obvious.

Speaking of obvious, did you check the spark plug itself? Preferably using the questionable plug in a known runner bike.

Good luck,

Kirk

Well I replaced the CDI box, the ignition coil ( it was giving bad ohm readings) and still no spark, and now the pulse generator is also giving me bad ohms readings. the bad thing is I have called about 20 differnt places trying to find one and have had no luck, I was told by many places the the part is on a factory back order and it would take about a month to get one if I was lucky... So if anyone knows where I can find one please let me know???? thanks for all your help so far...

I would keep an eye on ebay. That timing pickup does go bad, but no too often.

The thing that goes bad most often is the stator. You can get one from RickyStator for about $130+shipping.