Sign in to follow this  

175 psi cold cranking compression on my used 06 YZ 125. Is it good?

Hi, everyone. So, I bought a used 06 YZ 125 a couple of weeks ago. It needed a new clutch and I replaced it. The motor runs well, although the jetting is not perfect. Anyway, I just did a compression check and my cold motor compression is 175 psi. Is that good? I do not reallly know what my compression should run on this 125. Thanks for all help.

It might be...The compression gauges can be very inaccurate. If there is the slightest doubt it will be cheaper in the long run to replace the piston and ring.

its hard to say for sure. altitude and gauge accuracy need to be considered. I would replace the ring and piston and then do a compression test as a bench mark

I hope the gage is accurate, it seems to be. I used it to test my banshee and it confirms what I knew it was. My altitude is 1500 feet. ASSUMING the gage is accurate, is 175 psi on a stock bore banshee ok? Thanks for the help!

I used a gauge to test the compression on a new (used) 04 yz250 i bought recently. I was getting 225 psi which i though was pretty good. I decided to pull the jug off to take a look. The piston was smoked and the top ring was broken. So much for my good compression reading.....