Sign in to follow this  

DR650 countershaft spline wear

FYI for anybody that has gotten a PBI countershaft sprocket from Kientech. I got a 14 tooth in February and have put on 6000 miles, I pulled it off to put new chain and sprockets on yesterday and noticed a lot of slop. The POS has worn about .025 off the splines on the countershaft. I take a look at the sprocket and it is beveled in on the outside surface where the retainer plate bolts on which reduces the width of the splines by about 3/32 of an inch. The stock sprocket does not have this bevel and has splines the full thickness of the sprocket. I looked at the new JT sprocket that I just got from Kientech today and it is just like the factory sprocket. Splines the full thickness of the sprocket. You might want to check your sprocket and splines. I hope my countershaft doesn't keep wearing or that will be an expensive lesson on buying aftermarket sprockets. 👍

• Like 1

Trailrider, Thanks for the heads-up. I have the PBI's in the 16 and 15 tooth for 520. I'll call Jesse in the morning and order the JT's.

Thanks again for the heads-up.

-Paul

That really sucks, I just bought the 14 and 16 PBI from Jesse and like running the 16. Is there anyone else out there that has been been running the PBI's that can check to see if they have similar issues?

So are anyone elses splines worn? Or has anybody heard of DR650 countershaft spline wear before? By the way, mine is a 2007 with 9800 miles on it.

Thanks for the info. I'm taking my 14T PBI off for inspection. So far I've only put a 100 miles on it. Chances are I won't see anything. Can you share some pics of the wear?

Anything new on the sprockets? Anyone call Jesse yet? I was going to call him but feel kinda bad bothering the guy as he does so much. Still got the 16 on but I'm thinking I should pull it and put the 15 back on to be safe.

Just curious. How do you have the countershaft attached? Did you attach it with the clip or bolted on with the three bolts.

I wonder if that makes any difference. I have heard the sproket will roam a little on the shaft when you use the clip. It seems most riders prefer to clip to the bolts and I haven't heard anything negative yet about people using the clip.

I didn't like the idea of the sproket moving on the shaft so I bolted it on like it was from the factory.

Just a thought.....

With the clip, you are right....the sprocket isn't "snug" and will wander a bit. Sprockets are not as hard as the spline coming out from the engine. The spline is hardened and will normally last quite a long time. Probably will outlast most DR650s!

But, if the sprocket is too loose & rattles on the spline, more play equates to an increased spline wear:eek: ...................this is not good.

I'm a bolt kinda guy.....have been and always will be👍

The bolts are more difficult to use, that is why clips have become so popular. The clips originally started becoming more prevalent on MX Bikes due to speed & ease of use when changing the sprocket. This then naturally progressed & found it's way on to other types of machines.:blah:

SUZUKI attaches the countershaft sprocket on the DR650 with bolts...........maybe they did this for a reason????

Don't feel deprived though, the countershaft sprocket on my DRZ400E is attached with 1 big nut, 1 bendable washer w/tabs that lock the nut in place, and a good squeeze of RED LOCLTITE.....Yee-ouch!!

HappyRiding !!

:worthy::busted:

With the clip, you are right....the sprocket isn't "snug" and will wander a bit. Sprockets are not as hard as the spline coming out from the engine. The spline is hardened and will normally last quite a long time. Probably will outlast most DR650s!

But, if the sprocket is too loose & rattles on the spline, more play equates to an increased spline wear:eek: ...................this is not good.

I'm a bolt kinda guy.....have been and always will be👍

The bolts are more difficult to use, that is why clips have become so popular. The clips originally started becoming more prevalent on MX Bikes due to speed & ease of use when changing the sprocket. This then naturally progressed & found it's way on to other types of machines.:blah:

SUZUKI attaches the countershaft sprocket on the DR650 with bolts...........maybe they did this for a reason????

Don't feel deprived though, the countershaft sprocket on my DRZ400E is attached with 1 big nut, 1 bendable washer w/tabs that lock the nut in place, and a good squeeze of RED LOCLTITE.....Yee-ouch!!

HappyRiding !!

:worthy::busted:

The bolts do not attach the sprocket to the shaft.... they merely attach the retaining plate to the sprocket. The sprocket still has free movement/wobble on the shaft as the plate engagement teeth are not as wide as the groove in the CS shaft. Any torque between the sprocket and the shaft will lock the sprocket in position anyway. IMO whatever wear riders may be experiencing with a clip would happen with the plate just the same.

I checked mine today. I have put about 1100 miles on the PBI 14 tooth and the splines looked perfect. My chain was a bit on the tight side if that made any difference(I know that's not normally desired-I loosened it up)

+1

When I had my sproket on with the clip it just seemed too loose. I bolted it on and it doesn't move as much. I know how it attached and their shouldn't be much difference between the clip and the bolt but their is on my bike.

I would love to use the clip so much faster to change sprokets but I just do feel as good with the clip.

But just think .... if it's going to wear, it will wear in the same spot where the bolted on plate holds it. If it is allowed to wander, it spreads the wear evenly rather than in just the one spot. Less of a chance wearing through the surface hardened countershaft.

Just my $ 0.02.

But just think .... if it's going to wear, it will wear in the same spot where the bolted on plate holds it. If it is allowed to wander, it spreads the wear evenly rather than in just the one spot. Less of a chance wearing through the surface hardened countershaft.

Just my $ 0.02.

+1

That and the only time that sprocket can move on the shaft is when no torque is applied to it in either direction (decel/accel). The chain itself keeps the sprocket from doing any kind of wobble antics. It just really is a non issue IMO. :worthy: Still, whatever makes you comfy right? 👍

I used the stock retainer with three bolts and the retainer is chewed up a bit as well.

exactly. plus if you are using the 14t, the chain rides up on the teeth and the rubber ring, causing high tooth wear. 👍

I reduced the diameter of the plate so the chain had plenty of clearance. Then it was too small to hold on the dampener ring, so that was left off. The wear on the plate was on the teeth on the inner diameter.