Sign in to follow this  

WR250 vs. XT225

I've browsed through many of the pages and just can't find any great info.

I owned an '02 XT225 and enjoyed puttin' around town and my 7 mile (one way) commute to work, but needless to say, power was really lacking. It was nothing like a 225 dirt bike -- hell, it wasn't even close. At that time, I also had a CBR1000RR and an 883R Sportster. All my bikes are now gone -- sold them all in the middle of last year due to my popping of my bicep tendon; came clean off the bone and I couldn't ride for almost 8 months.

So, here I am, wanting to combat high gas prices, but I want to have fun in the process. I thought I had narrowed down my search to the DR-Z 400, but the new WR looks much more intruiging than the new XT250.

Anyone here a previous owner of an XT225 and now own the WR250? Can you compare them? Can you give a better comparision than "night and day"?

I'm 5'8, and #220 (stocky, not fat as hell). My commute is, again, 7 miles each way. Average speed limit is 35-40. My use would be mainly as a commuter, but I would like to be able to play in the dirt at my leisure; I'd love a supermotard, but I want dirt fun, too. (Would it be practical to buy a more dirt friendly version, and get motard tires, or buy a motard and get a set of knobbies?)

Anyway, I appreciate all input.

Again, my main concern here is to find the difference b/t the old XT225 and the new WR.

I bought a 08 XT 250 had it for almost a year and it was a lot of fun to play in the dirt with, and even more so when you can ride to different trails/spots. I used it to counter the 15 MPG of my K 1500. I loved the bike in the dirt but quickly grew disappointed in its lack of power when on the road. I knew what it was when I bought it I just started wanting more than it could give me. even after any mods. My XT topped out around 85 indicated around 80 more likely. The WR even though the same bore way different bike. My WR tops around 97 indicated again probably 90 but gets there much much faster. I also chose the WR X and also wanted to know about some 50/50 tires or extra set of knobbies. after looking around briefly at tucker, parts unlimited, I ralized I would probably have to get an extra set of wheels and also a different style front brake mount to have the WR R style. what I am saying is that I am much happier with what I have now and even though these tires dont have dirt capabilities, I think I could figure something out without spending a whole lot of money. before I do that Im going to get a few other things like power commander, and pipe. In my opinion the WR R would be a better choice than the DRZ 400 if you want great offroad and decent street capabilities. If you have any specific questions for me having owned both, I will answer as best as I can but I am way partial to the WR having owned both.

The stock WRR tires will let you do more than enough on the street unless you are going to really scrape those pegs. And you retain the ability to do dirt. The big issue would be how much dirt and what kind. you can get away with much different tires if you only want to ride gravel fire roads.

I have the 08 WR250R and a 97 XT225. Mainly rode Vet mx the last few years on a 06 yz450f. Taking it easy the last year, dual sporting on the WR and lending the XT to friends.

Main differences, In my opinion:

WR much taller, with much stronger frame, best for full size person (I'm 6'2", #210), or you'll need to lower it.

XT lower seat height, smaller bike - looks like I'm riding a kids bike or wifes bike

XT lower first gear ratio - can climb slowly and pick thru tight trails,

WR very wide gear box - perfect for short commutes or cruzing at 60-65, smooooooth acceleration

WR much stiffer and stronger suspension, very capable for trail riding

XT don't hit any water bars at speed, the suspension will bottom hard

WR - motor much more powerful and will rev out, short shift and relax on the road if you like. It won't pull power wheelies, but either will the XT.

XT - motor will will need to work much harder on hills, leaving traffic lights and passing, etc. Still fun in tight twisties though.

The WR is a strong modern FI bike, full size, has off-road capability and I feel how it can be a great supermoto bike even with the stock tires.

XT designed for much lighter duty.

Bottom line in my opinion - the XT is fun, but looks way too small for a big guy. The WR is state of the art and loads of fun. I looked closely at the Suzuki DRZ400s and chose the WR250R for the FI, wider gear box, aluminum frame and modern technology.

But if you're planning on commutes under 55mph and want to keep the price down, you might consider the DRZ. But the WR has a much wider gear box than the DRZ if you're planning on riding for any length of time any faster.

Hope this helps.

Picture550.jpg

Picture463.jpg

Picture530.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

DSCN0820.jpg

DSCN0810-1.jpg

I have both 07 xt225 and 08 wr250r I too happen to be 6'2 and the xt felt very cramped The xt power feels like a tractor real smooth and plenty of it the wr is much more responsive. The xt is a fun trail bike to get from one point to the other the wr is for more agressive type ridding!

Thanks for the insight. I loved the XT225 because it was so "rider friendly" but it seriously lacked in the dirt. No spinning the tires while trying to plow through a turn or get out of thick sand. I assume the FI on the WR will at least allow for a little wheel slippage?

Again, I want the bike for a short commute. I just got a new Chevy Crew Cab Silverado so I could tow my boat and my almost born son; had to ditch my 350Z because it wouldn't do a car seat too well. So, even with the variable cylender thing -- I'm still only gettin' maybe, MAYBE 17mpg w/ city driving.

While I claim a commute for my cause, I still want to be able to have fun on the dirt and the street. I thought my XT225 cornered quite well, though I never took it on any rides that lasted more than an hour and the road choices were limited since I never ventured out any. I also would like to take the bike on group rides with the guys I used to ride w/ before when I owned my CBR1000RR. I may be near the back, but I like to think that my balls are a little bigger, so I won't be totally at the rear.

Thanks for the input and anything else is greatly appreciated. I'm gonna be selling off some watches/knifes/firearms to pay cash for this thing since I bought a boat and a Rolex w/ the money from my previous motorcycle sales, so it may be a little while before I get to own one.

Oh, hell, I know myself and my loving wife. We're going shopping tomorrow, so Lord knows what I come home with... Last time we went out with nothing in mind to buy except some good ice cream, we came home with her a Harley that she dropped on her first attempt and never stepped foot on again. I'll hold my breath for tomorrow.

Oh -- YamaLink -- I saw it lowers these things. Worth the cost?

i have a 2000 xt350 and a 08 wr250x. power wise they feel about the same stock for stock just my xt has more torque. i had a 1992 xt225 and yes they tractor through just about anything. got the 350 because i wanted a bigger bike and i had sold the 225 for what i had paid for it 3 years before. waiting untill stock tires are toast to upgrade wrx tires to 80/20 dirt street tires on same rims. the wrx power is more peaky (likes upper rpms) than the xt but it is very manageable. the fi is nice. i bought the x because that is what my dealer had left and my xt has been apart since april for a freshened up topend. go with the wrr, you will not be disappointed.

Hello,

Bullittman here. I had an 06 XT225. The XT's are GREAT motorcycles. I loved mine. It was a fantastic low speed commuter and a go any where trail bike. I did a couple of mods to get the jetting and the air box better so it ran right and it would eventually peg the speedo. However, it was slow. I could go just about any where on it. It would not go down the interstate but everything else was no problem. I live in Colorado Springs and there wasn't anywhere in the Colorado rockies I wouldn't have hesitated to ride it to. I took it to the San Juans and had no issues with any of the trails or highways. Like I say though the only issue was it HAS to go slow. IT IS NOT a motocross bike!

If you are looking for a low cost do anything runabout and aren't in a big hurry you probably wont find a better bike. If you need to go down the interstates and feel comfortable doing it or need aggressive suspension for fast off road use You need to look else ware. I don't have any experience with the new wrr but it looks promising but expensive and heavy. EFI is good. The superior suspension looks promising. If I were going to get another dual sport the new wrr would probably be my pick because of the EFI and the better suspension. But don't discredit the XT either because it is a great trail bike.

Hope my advice helps.

Bullittman