Sign in to follow this  

How register XR650R in Michigan

I have been moving from Mexico to Michigan Rochester Hills, when moving up here i brought my 2003 XRR with me. Previous owner had it titled(ElPaso,Tx), i never titled it since i only rode it in the desert in the area (trailerd to start location within 15 minutes got you to 100's of miles of open desert).

When i got to Mi. (3 months ago) i changed the title on my car and at the same time the XRR title, since i didn't plan using it on street i told them it was a dirt bike, and now it has a "for offroad use only stamp on the title". Once up here i realized that close by there are not many riding options within short driving distance.

So i thought about street registering the bike so that at least i can use it once a while for driving around town.

So i have the following questions:

1.Can i change the title to an street legal one easily?

2. How to register bike and get it inspected for legal street use?

3.What about motorcycle drivers license, can i ride it with my normal vehicle drivers license or is there a special motorcycle license and if so how to get one?

4. Any other riding location tips that are within a 1 hour driving distance were i live, i have been further north but it means driving several hours one way,which is not that much fun.

I'm not familiar with all the regulations here since i'm originally from Europe.

Thanks for any answers

Robert

My feeling is that you tell them you made a mistake and want them to register for the street. For all intensive purposes it sounds like it was a titled street bike (TX). They had no right in my opinion to stamp that on the title. I can't see how they can fault you for that. It would be the same if you had a street titled DRZ400 and they stamped that on the title. Their bad and they need to fix it.

Bummer on the title, the best option would have been to keep it street titled. I'm not familiar with the process to "reconvert" just the title, if it's event possible. I suggest you check with the Secretary of State to see if they will allow you - make sure explain the situation in detail to them. That it was street legal/titled before moving. Plead ignorance of the language if necessary to suggest you made a mistake when choosing off-road only here in MI.

If that doesn't work, the regular conversion process will work fine.

Pick up a form TR-54 from the SOS office (also available online).

Take the bike and the form to a cop shop (or have an officer come to your residence). Have him inspect the bike and sign both sides of the form (VIN check and cycle equipment check) and then take the signed form back to the SOS. They will convert the title back to street legal.

The equipment you need for a street legal bike in MI:

DOT tires

Hi/low headlight

Taillight with brake light

Horn

Mirror.

PS - There are no off-road riding areas closer to you.

PPS - The North forum has lots of threads on making a bike in MI street legal (lots of MI specific discussion too).

PPPS - There are a few groups that get together to ride dirt roads in your general area and a few not far away. Search for Nomads in the North forum here on TT; check out the "Detroit? Greetings" thread on ADVrider.com (Central section).

#3 Yes, you need a motorcycle endorsement.

When you go to the SOS to fix the title, take the written Motorcycle test. It's a good idea to read the little book they give you and then take it. There are a few obscure questions. This will get you a learners permit. It has some restrictions, like no passengers and maybe no riding at night???, but it will keep you out of trouble if you get stopped. At some point you'll need to take the riding test, but that has to be done through a private party so it's kind of a pain.

#3 Yes, you need a motorcycle endorsement.

When you go to the SOS to fix the title, take the written Motorcycle test. It's a good idea to read the little book they give you and then take it. There are a few obscure questions. This will get you a learners permit. It has some restrictions, like no passengers and maybe no riding at night???, but it will keep you out of trouble if you get stopped. At some point you'll need to take the riding test, but that has to be done through a private party so it's kind of a pain.

Thats pretty close, but you missed one MAJOR restriction. You have to be riding WITH A FULLY CYCLE ENDORSED RIDER at all times. Its much like the licensed driver this for our car here in MI.

I am up in Flint and drive a XRL, maybe we could meet up and ride sometime!

The closest riding area to you is gonna be "The Mounds" in the Flint area, probly over an hour drive, and is a fairly small park. Fun though.

The horn can be a cheapie squeeze bulb, and the mirror can be one from a mountain bike that velcro's to your bar end.