Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning stock foam air filter

The Suzuki book says to clean the foam filter with a nonflammable cleaning solvent. What specific solvent would that be? The last bike I had with a foam filter was a 1980 Harley Sportster and Harley recommended cleaning it with a soap and water solution... I used Tide, then rinsed and dried before oiling. Would that be a no-no on today's foams? Thanks in advance for helping an old man with these new fangled machines; sure do like my DR650.

The Suzuki book says to clean the foam filter with a nonflammable cleaning solvent. What specific solvent would that be? The last bike I had with a foam filter was a 1980 Harley Sportster and Harley recommended cleaning it with a soap and water solution... I used Tide, then rinsed and dried before oiling. Would that be a no-no on today's foams? Thanks in advance for helping an old man with these new fangled machines; sure do like my DR650.

The oldschool method is fine. Unless you are using one of those new super tacky lubes that calls for a stronger-than-soap solvent, then you will need something closer to the toxic section of chemicals. SimpleGreen is pretty tough stuff and it won't take the skin off your hands. The real foam filter cleaner works great, just make sure to wash it with soap and water a couple times after using it to get it all out, otherwise your new oil that you put on wont stick because the super cleaner stuff is still in there.

Also those stock filters will clean up until looking new. If you clean it and it doesn't look new, clean it again.

I've used Castro Super Clean degreaser for years on foam filters.

Spray it on, work it in, rinse it off and let it dry

GT

I've been using gasoline to clean foam air filters for years. Never any adverse effect. Why the "non-flammable" cleaning solvent comment in the owner's manual? Other than blowing yourself up if you smoke while doing it:bonk: .

Flea

Other than blowing yourself up if you smoke while doing it:bonk: .

Flea

That's exactly why they say that. In the sue happy America of today they have to protect themselves.

I clean mine with hot water and dish soap. Then I let it thoroughly air dry and spray the outer surface with K&N Air Filter oil. Works great...cheap and easy.

Hope this helps.

Varsol, or any other cleaning solvent, instantly takes out the sticky blue Bel-Ray I use. Then a soap and water wash. Lower flash point than gasoline and the foam likes it.

Thanks, all, for the education. Guess I'll "go with the Tide" and keep the other suggestions in mind if that doesn't work out. Thanks again.

Ken