08 yz450, Windham bend fixed the turning

I know others have discussed this, but I couldnt find the thread to add to it. But for me, I fixed any turning issues I had with my 08 yz450 by putting the Renthal twin wall Windham bend. I cannot believe how much better I can turn from something as simple as a bar swap. It took me most of the day to get used to standing up with them but the corners was the instant I hit the track. Not to crazy about the pillow top grips I tried, but I was digging them as the day wore on. Just for reference I am 5'9 and the bars are PERFECT. Get yourself some!

On another note, I tried a maxis IT tire, the intermediate compound, mixed feelings about that tire, hooks up great where it was dry, or tacky, but totally sucked anywhere it was slippery or too muddy. I think the Dunlop 952 is a better tire for tracks with transitioning conditions. I will probably go back to the 952 after I wear this tire down. Not sure if its the new set up with the bars or the new rear maxis but my front 952 tire kept wanting to push out today, its never given me any of those problems before.....need to find out whats causing it.

I know others have discussed this, but I couldnt find the thread to add to it. But for me, I fixed any turning issues I had with my 08 yz450 by putting the Renthal twin wall Windham bend. I cannot believe how much better I can turn from something as simple as a bar swap. It took me most of the day to get used to standing up with them but the corners was the instant I hit the track. Not to crazy about the pillow top grips I tried, but I was digging them as the day wore on. Just for reference I am 5'9 and the bars are PERFECT. Get yourself some!

On another note, I tried a maxis IT tire, the intermediate compound, mixed feelings about that tire, hooks up great where it was dry, or tacky, but totally sucked anywhere it was slippery or too muddy. I think the Dunlop 952 is a better tire for tracks with transitioning conditions. I will probably go back to the 952 after I wear this tire down. Not sure if its the new set up with the bars or the new rear maxis but my front 952 tire kept wanting to push out today, its never given me any of those problems before.....need to find out whats causing it.

I believe my '08 came with the YZ Hi bend, which has a sweep of 52mm. With Windhams at 54mm, so I don't think you are benefiting as Grey and others are describing - hands further forward. The Windhams are, however higher at 99mm vs. 84mm YZ Hi. Were your stock bars YZ Hi's?

Also, what turning problems were you having? I ended up having an e-axle custom modified (the wheel spacers so that the axle would work on the '08) and run it -1mm and it was an improvement over stock, but not a major one.

are the stock 08 bars yz hi as noted on the pro taper chart.

does less sweep help in cornering ?

I had the windham bend on two other bikes, but was considering the suzuki bend, they have less sweep and are taller.

1) No. At least the '06 and '07 weren't. The '06 rose only about 75mm, and the '07 was only about 5-6mm taller.

2) That is totally an individual thing. It doesn't work for me.

3) The Windham bend is the RM middle high bend. PT doesn't list a higher Suzuki bend than that. The KX High and the Woods high have more rise. The Pasrana FMX is taller, but also narrower.

I believe my '08 came with the YZ Hi bend, which has a sweep of 52mm. With Windhams at 54mm, so I don't think you are benefiting as Grey and others are describing - hands further forward. The Windhams are, however higher at 99mm vs. 84mm YZ Hi. Were your stock bars YZ Hi's?

Also, what turning problems were you having? I ended up having an e-axle custom modified (the wheel spacers so that the axle would work on the '08) and run it -1mm and it was an improvement over stock, but not a major one.

Wasnt having any turning problems per-se, it just turns sharper and responds to my input much more so then before. The stock set up turned well, it just seems I am turning faster, with less rider input, less energy being used, and it just does exactly what I want it to now. Except for the front tire pushing out on me today, that was starting to piss me off. Not sure if its the effect of the bar or if the new Maxis tire and dunlop 952 front is a bad combo.