Sign in to follow this  

avege cost street legal dirt bike

You need to be a little more specific as to what you are looking for. A 2009 KTM 530 will run close to 10k after taxes and fees. An old 80's XL250 could be had for about 1k or even less.

To get your tag and title in Maryland you will need turn signals (I know the AMA site says you don't - but you do to get past title inspection), front and rear activated brake light, hi/lo beam headlight, speedometer, two mirrors, DOT tires and, if they decide your seat is big enough for two, you will need buddy pegs and a passenger hand hold or strap. The guy at a local dealer even went as far as checking all my lights for DOT approval.

In other words, I am buying one that is street legal from the factory to avoid the inspection hassle. The easiest local shop here flunked my XL600R a couple of years ago because I forgot to put the buddy pegs and strap on it before the inspection. Maybe there are easier shops out in the boonies. But they are tough around Annapolis.

Maybe somebody that has done it in MD will speak up and say where and how they did it. Otherwise talk to your local shops that do motorcycle inspections and see what they say you will need to pass at their shop.

I'm in the process of finishing up a dual sport conversion at the moment. I had a 2005 CRF-250R collecting dust in the corner of my garage, so decided to convert it to dual sport in hopes of getting out and riding it more often.

I purchased a Trail Tech stator, lighting flywheel and electronics kit, LED turn signals, pressure switches for the brakes front and rear, a CRF-250X headlight, rear fender w/ LED tail light, triple clamp assembly and right radiator (in order to mount a fan), Kenda Trackmaster II DOT tires/tubes, K&S Handlebar switch, new sprockets front and rear (14/48 from 13/51), and a DRC under-fender Edge-2 tail light assembly w/ tag mount. I had to make my own wiring harness for the headlight/tail light/ turn signals and brake light switches. I have right at $750 total in the project so far.

Now why did I do it? I really wanted to pick up a new KTM530EXC, but at roughly $9K out the door, I just didn't know how much I would actually get to ride it. So, I decided to convert the old CRF and see just how much I would actually ride the thing. If I'm fortunate and am able to find some local place to ride it and ride it often, then maybe next spring I'll go ahead and purchase the KTM. If not, then no real loss.

And besides, I like working on bikes just as much as riding them these days. It's been a fun project.

VetMXR

I titled a DrzE and I picked some of what I needed off ebay, cheap--Headlight with handlbar switch etc. Hydo brake switch was $20 or less at a dealer, $50 or so for an Edge tail/brake light. Then I dumped money into a new pipe and Corbin 👍

somebody selling a yamaha XT350 Dual Sport so i might start there its 2600 and comes street legal. But i wanted more of a dirt bike and didnt want to go through the hassle of gettn a trailer to get it to the trails. In baltimore theres a big problem with dirt bikes so I wanted it to be street legal also. I Kno my question was very vague. But just wanted some input on people bike prices. The most i wanted to spend was 3K

somebody selling a yamaha XT350 Dual Sport so i might start there its 2600 and comes street legal. But i wanted more of a dirt bike and didnt want to go through the hassle of gettn a trailer to get it to the trails. In baltimore theres a big problem with dirt bikes so I wanted it to be street legal also. I Kno my question was very vague. But just wanted some input on people bike prices. The most i wanted to spend was 3K

The XT is kind of a dog dirt bike wise. I would try and find a DR350/400 or even a XR650L before getting an XT350.

There is a "newzed" (only has 600 miles)2007 KLX250s on Craigslist (DC) listed for only 3K. I bet you can get it less than that.

That bike is turn-key street, and very capable in the woods.

I got my 2006 for only $2500 about 13 months ago the same way. Only had 300 miles.

You

Now that your budget is established, just take your time and shop. I know where a DR650 is for 2500.00, '05 if I remember correctly, w/11000 miles, might get it a little cheaper in Southeast, N.C., I looked at the bike, whilst deliverring yet another bike. I would have bought it myself, but was already committed to another purchase.

If you're interested, lemme know, I'll put you in touch...

Theonly problem is I have a 2500 restriction in budget

I was shopping with that exact budget over the last couple of months. In that time within your budget I past up on a plated DRZ400E (no e start or that one would have come home with me), an immaculate 97 DR650, two or three XR650L's, a KLX650 (might have bought it but couldn't get there in time) and two or three KLR 650's. And bear in mind that I wasn't even reading ads for anything under 400cc's.

Shop Craigslist for DC and Baltimore and you will find something in short order. As you probably already know, eBay is a waste of time unless you get lucky. Just have the cash in hand and be decisive when you see something decent pop up on CL. It is a sellers market right now for DS bikes so you gotta jump when you see one.

Fortunately for me, my wife really liked the LC4 I called about and she raised my budget to cover it at $3500.

Now im thinking bout not gettin a bike the season almost over its on on fall now. And someone selling a 2000 kx 250 for 2000

Now im thinking bout not gettin a bike the season almost over its on on fall now. And someone selling a 2000 kx 250 for 2000

What season is almost over?????? Have I missed something here? I ride more in the winter than summer. As I remember, off road in the winter is a BLAST! I'm looking forward to heading for the mountings this winter, snow, Ice in the streams...NO DUST!

👍:worthy::busted:

You need to be a little more specific as to what you are looking for. A 2009 KTM 530 will run close to 10k after taxes and fees. An old 80's XL250 could be had for about 1k or even less.

Holy sheet!.. Inever thought about it that way. Ive considering a new 530 and it pains me to even thing of spending $8300 which is thew approzimate list price for that bike. I totally didnt even think about tax which will be about $550. then the bullsheet fees for prep, freight and whatever they tell you...your correct is somewjere in the $9,000-10,000 range.

Im sorry, not knocking anyone who has one but if a dirt bike is gonna cost me $10K it should come with a cape on the back fender and a guaratee to place you on the podium for every race. 10K for a dirt bike is a little crazy to me.

it cost money to put an orange in the garage!

if i were you look around you might could find an XRR with a plate on it already or find one for about 2500-3k and do everything else yourself